running three monitors from laptop possible? (including laptop display) 8 gb ram and 2gb vram

Feb 23, 2018
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-15-6-laptop-black-intel-core-i5-8250u-256gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/11624440.aspx

I am thinking of getting this laptop. It has USB c and HDMI port. So is 8gb ram enough to run laptop and 2 monitor 1080p (or maybe x2 2ks?).

Also can I run one monitor from USB c and another from HDMI? I think the USB c adapter that allow 2 monitors connection are quite expensive.

The laptop is quad core 8th gen and runs MX150. I am only looking to run some stocks software which has a lot of graphs

Solution
I looked at the specs of this laptop on Acer's site. It's not clear if the USB c port will work as a video out port. Typically, a USB C that supports video has a little monitor symbol with the USB logo inside it next to the port. Since this laptop doesn't have that symbol, it's a good guess that it will NOT support a monitor on the USB C port.

My suggestion for your use is to get a laptop with an i5 or i7 CPU, 8GB or 16 GB RAM, 256GB or greater SSD drive. The internal Intel graphics is capable of driving 2 monitors + the laptop screen, i.e. you don't need the MX150 graphics. What you do need is a laptop that has an HDMI AND a mini-Displayport video outputs. Take a look at the Dell Latitude laptops. Another solution is a laptop with a...
I looked at the specs of this laptop on Acer's site. It's not clear if the USB c port will work as a video out port. Typically, a USB C that supports video has a little monitor symbol with the USB logo inside it next to the port. Since this laptop doesn't have that symbol, it's a good guess that it will NOT support a monitor on the USB C port.

My suggestion for your use is to get a laptop with an i5 or i7 CPU, 8GB or 16 GB RAM, 256GB or greater SSD drive. The internal Intel graphics is capable of driving 2 monitors + the laptop screen, i.e. you don't need the MX150 graphics. What you do need is a laptop that has an HDMI AND a mini-Displayport video outputs. Take a look at the Dell Latitude laptops. Another solution is a laptop with a USB C port and connect it to a laptop dock that supports 2 monitors: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-docking-stations.

Solution
Feb 23, 2018

Is integrated GPU good? I have surface pro 4 with 4gb ram and i5.
The reason I thought about buying new laptop is because I need $200 dock in order to run 2 monitors from it and use the display at the same time.

If the USB c is used to charge laptop, does it mean it can run 2 monitors or it must have display icon nonetheless

A dedicated graphics processor is typically required for playing games or if you want to have 4 or more monitors (depending on the monitor resolution). For your case, 2 1080p, 60Hz monitors can be easily driven by Intel integrated graphics. As I noted previously, USB C for video is a tricky subject right now. You'll need to research and check manufacturer's specs to see if it will work as you want.

I think you're making this too difficult. The simpler solutions are a laptop and a dock that supports 2 monitors or a laptop that has 2 video outs, typically HDMI and mini-DP.

Feb 23, 2018

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Will this work with my surface pro 4, 4gb ram i5 connecting to 2 1080p monitors?

https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-Docking-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519864414&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+dual+monitor+dock&dpID=41GWQZPQFQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It says it only needs usb 3.0 connection. This way I don't have to buy another laptop with type c to use 2 monitors.