Question Running two displays with different resolutions/refresh rates off one graphics card

Jorvis

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
I have a GTX 1050 ti & am currently running a 2560x1440p monitor @ 75hz from the graphics cards HDMI output.

I am buying a 4K Samsung TV that is capable of 4K @ 60hz that I would also like to send a signal to from my graphics card. The TV only has HDMI inputs so I would have to use either an HDMI splitter from the GPU or use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter.

I have a few questions about this setup:

1. I am not looking to drive both displays simultaneously, only one at a time, so what is the best way to do this? Should I use an HDMI splitter or drive both displays directly from the GPU? I can't find any splitters that support both 4K @ 60hz & 1440p @ 75hz.
  2. If I drive both displays from the GPU, will there any be any performance loss even if I'm only using one display at a time?
  3. How do I go about switching back & fourth between displays & how would it work considering they have different resolutions? Would I have to manually change the resolution in the NVIDIA control panel each time I switch them? Would all my desktop icons get messed up when I switch resolutions?

Any help appreciated.

speedchampion2004

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
For option #1, what I can say is that if the splitter supports 4k 60hz, it will probably support 1440 75hz as it is a lower resolution.
As for #2, there will be a slight performance loss. For gaming suppose you are getting 60fps with both monitors on. This may reduce to 55-57 fps as you are still displaying the other screen.
Finally, #3 your icons will mess up but you dont have to mess around with settings.