Running two SSDs to increase storage

wkeelie

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hello,

My son has an Alienware laptop for gaming.

We bought and installed a Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB a while ago as the laptop only came with 256Gb (
LITEONIT L8T-256L9G-11 M.2 2280 256GB).

The original drive has died and now we run the laptop off the Samsung SSD. This is fine but I want to add more storage. I was thinking about getting the same card again or bigger but I need to know if I can combine the storage so it reads as if it's one memory?

From googling I found this: The best configuration, in GORT's opinion, is to use two identical SSD's in a RAID1 configuration.
That would create a faster read/write experience than separate or single SSD configurations, and offer redundancy to boot! (no, pun not intended ... OK, yes it was)
You could also create two partitions (OS & DATA) ... your call, but that's what GORT would do.

This is what I want to do I think. The Samsung 850 has been replaced by the 860. If I buy an 860 with more capacity (maybe 1tb) can I run the two together like this?
Also, are there instructions online for how to do this? When I look for installing these drives, I find instructions on how to physically install them. I can do that bit. I don't know how to set the PC up once they're both installed. I'm not that techie but I can follow instructions.
any ideas?
thanks,
Keelie

Solution

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

USAFRet

Titan
Running two SSDs to increase storage

From googling I found this: The best configuration, in GORT's opinion, is to use two identical SSD's in a RAID1 configuration.

Don't know where you read this...but that is all kinds of wrong.

1. You don't mix 2 different size drives in a RAID 1.
You'll end up with 1x the size of the smallest.
For instance...250GB + 500GB + RAID 1 = 250GB RAID 1 array.
250GB + 250GB _ RAID 1 = 250GB RAID 1 array.

The OS and user sees a single volume, of the size of the smallest drive.

2. RAID 1 with any type drive is not faster read/write.
RAID 1 is often slower. It is actually writing to 2 physical drives at the same time.

3. RAID 1 as regards "redundancy".
That is only protection in the rare case of a physical drive fail. It is NOT data redundancy
It does absolutely nothing for the far more common forms of data loss.

4. RAID 1 is for overall uptime. For instance, if you were running a webstore, and downtime = lost sales.
A RAID 1 would allow the system to limp along on the remaining drive, until you can schedule downtime and replace it.

5. Multiple partitions (C and D?) in a RAID 1? I can think of few worse configurations.
Just...don't.

Seriously...put the RAID concept out of your mind. It is not what you want to do.

So....
Add another drive in there. Whatever size fits your budget.
You can split the data across both drives.
OS and applications on one drive, your date and games on the other drive.

And then build up an actual backup scenario, using an external USB connected HDD.

We can go into detail on this if you wish. As much detail as you can handle...:)

wkeelie

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Okay, no RAID - got it !

The problem with splitting stuff over two drives is that the bulk of his games are in steam so all those games will still need to sit on one ssd right? So it won't add much. Unless I get the 1tb, but was hoping to get the 500gb as $400 seems a lot to spend on a laptop...

USAFRet

Titan

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library