Running Windows 10 and Freenas on Same System?

invento123

Prominent
May 5, 2018
So I got an older system recently from a friend who has since upgraded and had no use for it what so ever. Its a decently powerful system, Older FM2 AMD Apu and has two gtx 780s in Sli. I would like to use it as a NAS as my current storage system is my internal 4tb hard drive and an external 2tb hard drive, both which are almost full. However I would like to keep using this machine as a gaming rig because of the two GTX 780s.

My question is, can I setup FreeNAS on this machine with the 4 drives Im planning to use, then install Windows 10 on an extra SSD? Im not planning to run FreeNAS and Windows 10 at the same time I just want FreeNAS to be running a majority of the time then whenever a friend comes over I can go into the boot menu, and change the boot order to boot off the SSD to allow Windows to boot. Would this work?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!!!

Solution
I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. It won't be a particularly efficient NAS (780 SLI will draw a non-negligible amount of power, even at idle), but you can do it.

It won't be an amazing gaming rig due to the weak CPU, as well as SLI not being supported by every game.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. It won't be a particularly efficient NAS (780 SLI will draw a non-negligible amount of power, even at idle), but you can do it.

It won't be an amazing gaming rig due to the weak CPU, as well as SLI not being supported by every game.

Solution