Runs out of video memory - But its not

sandvik.fredrik

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

Here is a link to my setup, hope it works! If not let me know and ill write it down. :)

PS:
My PSU is a MIST 500w, i did not find it, probably because its pretty old.

I have started getting game crashes and the message that says i ran out of video memory.
This started in the game Scum, at first i thought that it was probably because its an early relese.
Started following my stats when playing and a few times it actually used 90% VRAM.
But it did crash even when it used only 50%.

Then it happend yesterday while playing PUBG. This has never happend, this game has run perfect all the time. When this happend it used only 50% vram.
What also was weird this time, is that my second monitor went black, my main monitor flickered on/off several times (the signal, the light went green/amber), then it came back on.
I thought i heard my case fans turn off also, but im not sure as i was wearing headset. I thought it restarted but it didnt. I started the game right after with no problem, exept that my second monitor did not turn on until i restarted. At this point i started thinking that my PSU might be to small.
Its a MIST PSU, arent they known to deliver strong power? Atleast what they claim it should deliver?

But i dont see a connection between out of memory and a weak PSU though..
Tried a PSU calculator, and it claimed that i needed atleast 475w, if thats correct im pretty close to max.. ANd thats not a good thing..

I then started thinking, i might try an older driver also.

I must add that my GPU is overclocked, but i tried to go back to stock when playing Scum, but it kept crashing so that is not my first suspect. PUBG has been working great with overclocking up until yesterday.
Also, the swap file has been disabled (for a long time with no problem)

Regarding temps, GPU was around 65c, CPU around 60c.

Do you guys have any suggestions? :)

sandvik.fredrik

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018

Hi, thanks!
I forgot to mention that i have the 411.63 driver. Not sure what bios verson i have, but im gonna check it.

( I wrote a long post, that magically dissapeared when i posted it, so i had to write it again, so i probalby forgot some info) :heink:

sandvik.fredrik

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018
@Calvin7
I checked my bios verson and its 1205,so I already have the newest drivers.

What about the theory with the PSU?
Regarding the flasing screen, signal drop out/in etc?

I will test an older nvidia driver later this evening.

sandvik.fredrik

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018
@Greeko85
What malware software do you recommend?

I think i will order a new psu anyways, as the one i got is very old. Just to be sure.

Is there other things that could cause this? I think its weird that it says its out of memory when it used only halv of the vram avaleble..

sandvik.fredrik

Commendable
Sep 22, 2018

I think its a bit unlikely to, as i have been watching the performance of my pc last months, checking temps, usage etc while gaming. And i cant say i have seen any suspicious.

But i will check anyways, just to be sure, also try the older drivers. I will report back. :)