News Russian 'Anti-Sanctions PC' Powered by New Skif Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
It's a Raspberry Pi 3 with a lot more RAM (seems rather useless to add 64 GB LPDDR4) and possibly a better GPU. A disaster that will be overpriced, but it could work for office use.

Smuggling in mini PCs from China might be a better use of their time. What's an Intel N100, 10x faster?

Reactions: bit_user
It's a Raspberry Pi 3 with a lot more RAM (seems rather useless to add 64 GB LPDDR4) and possibly a better GPU. A disaster that will be overpriced, but it could work for office use.

Smuggling in mini PCs from China might be a better use of their time. What's an Intel N100, 10x faster?
The point is they are creating self reliant manufacturing. If they can create the backbone of manufacturing for everything but a CPU then that is all they need to 'acquire' or 'procure' to start a homegrown PC industry. A PC from 13 years ago may be 10x slower, but as long as it keeps Russia in business, that's all they need to be profitable, and keep their PC infrastructure from collapsing.

Reactions: Why_Me and sherhi

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I thought Russians could buy from whomever would sell to them, which includes China.
Good question. I know certain countries still conduct non-military trade with Russia, notably South Korea.

I guess the main issue with PCs is that Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are all US-based. Therefore, they don't formally sell into Russia. You'd have to do grey-market imports, where you buy them in a 3rd country. That's going to push up prices and could limit selection. Could also void support for any products purchased after the sanctions went into effect.

Taiwan also has sanctions on Russia, which should further impact their PC industry.

Reactions: rluker5
Status
Not open for further replies.