Russian WWII Flight Simulator 'IL-2 Sturmovik' Getting VR Support In March

Status
Not open for further replies.

It might be well-known in that specific group, but I would say that for the mainstream it's quite unknown.

tom1502

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
It's definitely not "little known". You want a WW2 combat flight simulator the only ones about anymore are part of the IL2 franchise, IL2 1946, IL2 Cliffs of Dover, IL2 Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow.

jean 1990

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Il2 realism in control are amazing, the enemy AI however seems unrealistic as they can easily outclimb and outturn you in an inferior machinery. Today, DCS appear now to have surpass it in term of realism but you have to install each aircraft yourself so it is more hassle.

I have the older 1946 version, i can only drool to see the sturmovik 2 since my pc isnt powerful enough, tried install it and it only runs 30-40 fps which is unacceptable for a flight sim.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Actually, the only reason I know about it was because my brother-in-law bought it years ago when it first came out...& even then, he preferred playing Combat Flight Simulator 2 (even though it was limited to Pacific campaigns), so I've never really seen it played.

But hey, if you're wanting relatively old, "realistic" flight simulators to get VR support, I would love for someone to bring back the old "Birds of Prey" PC game from 1992...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
IMO Flight and Driving sims should be some of the best uses of VR. I used to play a lot of flight sims and enjoyed them but dogfighting was never fun for me, tracking planes during a tight fast dogfight is very unnatural when you can't look around the cockpit. I used to play the A10 sim for hour after hour... loved CAS and Ground Attack missions. Then there was the F14 sim... that was generally beyond visible range engagements so not as much close engagement.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Wasn't being sarcastic.
If you aren't familiar with flight simulators, you've likely never heard of this game. It's not well known to the general public, though I'm sure it's highly revered by those in the know.

[strike]Microsoft flight simulator and Ace Combat are well known. This one isn't.

This game is only well known inside of a specific niche community.[/strike]

EDIT: After coming back a few hours later, I'm now thinking that this isn't the focus of the article, and it makes little sense to continue discussing wether it is well known or a niche game. So I'll apologize about getting caught up in this. It doesn't make any sense to argue about something so trivial.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

I haven't played a flight sim since the mid 90's and found I don't really like them hence not playing them again. I definitely know about Il2 though by just being a gamer.
I guess you would be right in people not knowing about it if they weren't gamers but then why does that matter? They aren't gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.