RX 460 vs RX 470 Reference heat

boxofawesome

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
So as far as im aware there isnt a blower version of the RX 460 avaliable, Im wondering which is going to put more heat into my system

A RX 460 with open air cooler, exhausts into case, lower tdp
Or RX 470 with blower, exhausts out of case, higher tdp

Im kind of limited by my pc case in terms of cooling options, so i dont really want to have to buy a more expensive blower card if its only going to make a negligible difference

case has 1 80mm intake on the side panel, and 1 80mm exhaust. Psu is at the top of the case with the fan extracting from the inside

Thanks

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
An open air cooler will generate more heat inside the case, meanwhile blower type GPU will take air from the inside of the case and throw the heat out of the case.

An in-depth explanation:
https://youtu.be/0domMRFG1Rw

An open-air cooler will run cooler and will achieve ~5% better performance when compared to a reference blower style GPU cooling solution and the system will be hotter inside, but if you think your system's cooling capabilities are limited, go for blower style cooling type GPU.

boxofawesome

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks for the reply

so even though the 460 has a much lower tdp, it will put more heat into the case?
Surely the blower isnt 100% efficient at removing all the heat it produces

I would approach this from another angle. The 460 and 470 are two completely differents level of GPU, if you need a 470 then a 460 isn't really an option in any case(no pun intended). It's also trivial to add an additional fan inside the case to direct airflow through problem areas. This is unless your case is really small and even a small fan won't fit inside. That's small enough that I think I'd want a card with a blower fan.