RX 480 or Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 970

jaejae0311

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Which one should I get? In my country, the Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 970 is currently $40 USD cheaper than the reference RX 480. Should I get the GTX 970 instead then?

Also, the aftermarket for RX 480 will be more expensive than the referenced cards right? Will there be a big jump in performance which is worth getting instead of the GTX 970?

Solution
The aftermarket RX 480 will be the same price as the reference and brands like PowerColor will often go under the reference price. It's actually kind of ironic as last gen PowerColor did an excellent job on their cooling. The RX 480 is still in limited stock right now so you will likely see it drop in price as it becomes more available.

RX 480 is more future proof than the GTX 970. You can expect the RX 480 to be a bit faster right now but 2-3 years from now it will have a significant lead over the 970.

jtk2515

Distinguished
I'd get the aftermarket 970 for 40$ cheaper. if it was a aftermarket 480 it would be a different story. The sapphire card is suppose to retail for 249$ so 10$ more then reference. If your looking at power of both cards overclocked the 970 aftermarket will win vs the reference 480.

The aftermarket RX 480 will be the same price as the reference and brands like PowerColor will often go under the reference price. It's actually kind of ironic as last gen PowerColor did an excellent job on their cooling. The RX 480 is still in limited stock right now so you will likely see it drop in price as it becomes more available.

RX 480 is more future proof than the GTX 970. You can expect the RX 480 to be a bit faster right now but 2-3 years from now it will have a significant lead over the 970.

Solution