Question RX 570 causes screen artifacts when it's temp reaches 60 ?

Jul 6, 2024
I have an old RX 570 8GB video card. I had issues with driver crashes for a while (especially when streaming a game to someone on discord), but kinda fixed that problem, still not sure. The other day I started playing Elden Ring and noticed that when the temp on the video card reaches 60 degrees, artifacts (red flash circles, small, large and like very, very big circles) start happening. In the process, I decided to look in MSI Afterburner and saw that fun speed does not exceed 25%, maybe 26-27% sometimes. After that I turned on User Define fan setting and adjusted fan curve so that it was always at 35% and that when it reached 50 degrees, the fans speed would increase.

Now the temperature of the video card in-game does not exceed 55 degrees (fans speed is running at 40%) and there are no artifacts, even when I stream on discord, today I streamed Elden Ring for 4 hours+ without any problems mostly at 50-60 fps.

How good and safe is this kind of problem solving? And why does my video card start showing artifacts when reaching and exceeding 60 degrees anyway? Is it because it can't properly cool itself without MSI Afterburner? Or is it something else? As far as I know, other people's RX 570 can run stable even when exceeding 75 degrees, can't they? What could be my problem?

How good and safe is this kind of problem solving?
should be done for all cards to ensure less fan noise until temperatures require higher fan speeds.

i've always left my GPU fan curves at ~20-30% up to 50°, then rise up to ~75-85% at 90°.
depending on how loud the fans are.

why does my video card start showing artifacts when reaching and exceeding 60 degrees anyway?
you don't mention make & model of card or how long it's been in use
or your complete system specs.

could be a lower quality model,
could just be showing it's age,
could be a crap power supply that can't provide steady power to the card at higher loads,...etc

Reactions: sigurec
Jul 6, 2024
should be done for all cards to ensure less fan noise until temperatures require higher fan speeds.

i've always left my GPU fan curves at ~20-30% up to 50°, then rise up to ~75-85% at 90°.
depending on how loud the fans are.

you don't mention make & model of card or how long it's been in use
or your complete system specs.

could be a lower quality model,
could just be showing it's age,
could be a crap power supply that can't provide steady power to the card at higher loads,...etc
Yeah, it could be a lower quality model, I guess. Actually, I once suspected that there is something wrong with it, because I can't find a video card with such core clock and memory clock, only unverified BIOS file. But Idk, I'm not good at this kind of stuff.

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 Pulse, on Hynix (1120 Core clock / 2075 Memory Clock). I buy it from someone like 1.5 years ago, sadly I can't say how long it's been in use, actually :(

Other specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-H REV 2.0
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 (Turbo Boost Disabled)
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x16GB (XMP Disabled)
Power Supply: Cougar STX 550w

Imperat0r

Great
Apr 19, 2024
You can say anything about Sapphire but you can't say anything about quality of the products they make.
If you indeed have problems regarding the temp, i suggest to make a repaste and change those thermal pads.
At least i did to almost all my RX 480, RX 570 and RX580 i still own
At the moment i own around 45 video card RX 4xx and RX5xx.
Most of them are XFX and Sapphire.
Those cards were rock solid at quality.

Jul 6, 2024
You can say anything about Sapphire but you can't say anything about quality of the products they make.
If you indeed have problems regarding the temp, i suggest to make a repaste and change those thermal pads.
At least i did to almost all my RX 480, RX 570 and RX580 i still own
At the moment i own around 45 video card RX 4xx and RX5xx.
Most of them are XFX and Sapphire.
Those cards were rock solid at quality.
I have changed thermal paste and pads, but I didn't do it myself, it was done at a computer shop. But it's like the guys knew what they were doing.
I believe you, but still, I have a problem.
Maybe the fans are not working properly by themselves? They are running at 25% at 60 degrees. I'm not sure if that's normal. Only with MSI Afterburner and personally customized fan curve everything is ok. What is the fan speed of your RX 570 at 60 degrees without third party programs?

And why does my video card start showing artifacts when reaching and exceeding 60 degrees anyway?

The other day I started playing Elden Ring and noticed that when the temp on the video card reaches 60 degrees, artifacts (red flash circles, small, large and like very, very big circles) start happening

Power Supply: Cougar STX 550w

You are using a low-end and a cheap quality PSU, so this might be the culprit for the artifacts observed while gaming.

That COUGAR STX model is definitely not a high quality unit. I wouldn't use this to power up any discrete gaming GPU.

TIER E. AVOID.

Cougar | A – STE – STX – VTC – VTE – VTK – VTX – XTC

Jul 6, 2024
You are using a low-end and a cheap quality PSU, so this might be the culprit for the artifacts observed while gaming.

That COUGAR STX model is definitely not a high quality unit. I wouldn't use this to power up any discrete gaming GPU.

TIER E. AVOID.

Cougar | A – STE – STX – VTC – VTE – VTK – VTX – XTC

That's something I've thought about too, actually. If the problem is the power supply, which one would you recommend for my current build?

Imperat0r

Great
Apr 19, 2024
If you find a second hand good quality PSU with 600 W or more - from a top manufacturer, that is enough.
Me personally i use Seasonic for all my latest builds.
Some years ago i had also Thermaltake 750W RGB, but i decided to stick to Seasonic.
Of course all depends on the budget and availability in your area.

If you find a second hand good quality PSU with 600 W or more - from a top manufacturer, that is enough
no it isn't.
pretty much every manufacturer out there produces some lower quality models or just rebrands other low quality units and distributes them under their own logo.
you cannot judge the quality of a power supply by the manufacturer alone.

one way to tell the build quality is often through the provided warranty details.
warranty lasting from 7-10 years usually denotes higher quality materials and reliability over time.
if connected devices are also covered, you know the manufacturer has very high faith in their product.

which one would you recommend for my current build?
where will you be purchasing and what is your budget?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2024
no it isn't.
pretty much every manufacturer out there produces some lower quality models or just rebrands other low quality units and distributes them under their own logo.
you cannot judge the quality of a power supply by the manufacturer alone.

one way to tell the build quality is often through the provided warranty details.
warranty lasting from 7-10 years usually denotes higher quality materials and reliability over time.
if connected devices are also covered, you know the manufacturer has very high faith in their product.

where will you be purchasing and what is your budget?
In Russia. Maybe something in the range of $80-120. Is there anything decent for $80 at all?

Jul 6, 2024
not sure about Russia in particular.
but there are nicer Seasonic, Super Flower, Corsair units for ~$80-105 that would fit your current wattage needs.

where exactly would you be purchasing; sites, stores, etc
include names.
Sadly, it is quite problematic to get these particular power supplies because of the current situation in the country.

Some popular stores:
OnlineTrade
Citilink
DNS

Jul 6, 2024
Well, we don't have time to dig in those stores.
Please make a list of what PSU you have budget for and are available in your area.
We will narrow down to some decent models.
Cheers
Chieftec CORE 600W [Core BBS-600S]
Cooler Master MWE 600 WHITE - V2 [MPE-6001-ACABW]
be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W [BN294]
Deepcool PL650D [R-PL650D-FC0B-EU]
be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 10 650W [BN328]
Thermaltake Toughpower GF 650W [PS-TPD-0650FNFAGE-2]
MONTECH GAMMA II 650 [GAMMA II 650]

What about these? Are any of them any good?

Chieftec CORE 600W [Core BBS-600S]
Cooler Master MWE 600 WHITE - V2 [MPE-6001-ACABW]
be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W [BN294]
Deepcool PL650D [R-PL650D-FC0B-EU]
be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 10 650W [BN328]
Thermaltake Toughpower GF 650W [PS-TPD-0650FNFAGE-2]
MONTECH GAMMA II 650 [GAMMA II 650]

What about these? Are any of them any good?

Out of those, only the be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W [BN294] is worth considering. Go for this model if it is within your budget. Leave the rest as they are not worth it.

Imperat0r

Great
Apr 19, 2024
For example, you can take the card out from your system and go to a friend and test it there in his system.
In this case you will eliminate any doubts regarding the card.
After that keep us informed how it went.

Jul 6, 2024
Hey everybody. Well guys, I figured out what the issue is. No one paid attention to the gpu memory clock I pointed out above. Turns out my RX 570 has a BIOS switch and it was turned on not in game mode. It has been that way since the moment I bought it. It's probably a mode for mining or something, I don't know. And by the way, I didn't know it even existed on these video cards until I googled it. I always thought it was only on Nitro versions. The artifacts appeared because of memory clock overclocking (I think so). After I used the switch and thus enabled gaming mode, the artifacts disappeared, core clock and memory clock are now at standard values for RX 570, as well as temperatures. My PSU is certainly not a good one, I realize that, but in this situation it wasn't the problem, but I will still consider replacing it and buy a PSU with a spare for a future upgrade. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Imperat0r

TRENDING THREADS