Apr 18, 2019
Hi !
CPU : i5 4440
8 GB RAM
Freesync PC monitor
Asus rog strix rx 570 4gb oc in
ASUS H81M-CS LGA-1150 Motherboard pcie 2.0X16
Iball mararthon 500w peak PSU
I get frame lag while playing AC odyssey, Plaque tale innocence, ghost recon on 'very high' settings even on OC mode. Do I need to upgrade to pcie 3.0 mobo. Will upgrading give me smooth gameplay at very high preset.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
If you upgrade your motherboard you're also going to have to upgrade your CPU to be compatible with the socket of said motherboard, and yes there will be an increase in frames as PCIe 3.0 has greater bandwidth than PCIe 2.0

Do I need to upgrade to pcie 3.0 mobo. Will upgrading give me smooth gameplay at very high preset.

You don't have to upgrade. NOT necessary, in my honest opinion. PCI-e speed will hardly make any huge difference in real world gaming. First of all, get rid of this PSU, "Iball mararthon 500w peak PSU". This is a local Indian branded power supply, and they all are made of very poor quality.

Not recommended for GAMING PCs. Replace this PSU ASAP, before it fully damages your GPU, and other PC components. The PSU might be the culprit in your case, not the motherboard.

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
Agreed that PCIe 2.0 isn't going to make a whole lot of difference as long as it's the full 16 channels. That's equivalent in bandwidth terms to PCIe 3.0 at 8 channels which is considered by most to be sufficient except possibly for top-tier graphics cards.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.