[SOLVED] RX 570 detects TV but not my Monitor...unless! [PLEASE HELP ME!]

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
RX 570 detects TV just fine. My Monitor recieves no signal, also within BIOS. No signal.
Cables fine, Monitor works as well since tested with a PlayStation. Drivers already uninstalled.

Now the weird part comes: When I first plug in my TV while being in the BIOS, then unplug it and plug in the Monitor, it works!
However, whenever I restart the PC, the Monitor recieves again no signal.
THE SAME weird issue happens, when I have all video drivers uninstalled and I'm in Windows, while using the generic driver.
Then I can make use of this plug in TV / unplug / plug in Monitor as well. But as soon I install the driver then, the Monitor recieves no signal again.
But since this all happens in the BIOS already, it seems to be not driver related anyway.

Has anyone any clue, what all this is about? I am trying to fix it for weeks without any luck.

Thanks in advance for any help! 😕

Solution
that sounds like your monitor isnt sending EDID...windows probably doesnt support non plug n play monitors these days
you could go around it with hdmi dummy plug combined with hdmi splitter
that way bios/windows will read monitor edid from dummy hdmi whiich will then send signal to monitor
price for dummy hdmi is below 10$
https://www.amazon.com/EVanlak-Headless-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-60Hz)-1pack/dp/B07YKGGQTJ
price for hdmi splitter (mirror/clone display) about 10$
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-Support/dp/B08JLZWMM4

first you have to use that dummy adapter, so windows will put some drivers and windows registry settings
then put dummy hdmi to ouput1, and monitor to output2
this one is 1080p @ 60Hz...

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
if you connect both tv and monitor, check device manager if your monitor ispresent there

I can not do this, since I only have one HDMI and one DVI slot on my GPU. But my monitor only supports HDMI and VGA.

However, what I did try is to see what the device manager says when I make use of this PluginTV/UnplugTV/PluginMonitor-Method (which again, only works within BIOS or when only the generic drivers are active). Then, the device manager tells me that my Monitor would be my Samsung TV, when I check the device path of the PNP-Monitor. So it seems like by this method, it initilizes the TV, uses that to run the monitor. Makes no sense.

that sounds like your monitor isnt sending EDID...windows probably doesnt support non plug n play monitors these days
that way bios/windows will read monitor edid from dummy hdmi whiich will then send signal to monitor
price for dummy hdmi is below 10$
https://www.amazon.com/EVanlak-Headless-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-60Hz)-1pack/dp/B07YKGGQTJ
price for hdmi splitter (mirror/clone display) about 10$
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-Support/dp/B08JLZWMM4

first you have to use that dummy adapter, so windows will put some drivers and windows registry settings
then put dummy hdmi to ouput1, and monitor to output2
this one is 1080p @ 60Hz, you can try to search for adapter which would have your monitor resolution

iff you get display, you can ignore text below

if your monitor have different resolution or frequency, then you will need to use Custom Resolution Utility or you wont get any display
connect to TV sou you get display in windows

open CRU
you will see values for your TV (active), at top switch to that dummy adapter
values for CRU display timings for you monitor should be searchable in monitor papers (manuals)
so you have to edit supported resolution and timings acording to monitor manuals

once done, click export button, that will create binary file
open it with hex editor
then open windows registry and follow this adress:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\DISPLAY\"name"\some random numbers and letters\Device Parameters\
"name" would be that dummy adapter, CRU will show you that name
on right side you will see lonely EDID with some binary data in it
right click on empty space and create new binary value and name it EDID_Override
double click it
copy whole HEX data from HEX editor to registry edid_override

then once you plug back your monitor with dummy splitter, it will read your created edid and monitor will show proper resolutions

side note: on linux its much easier to do this, windows is just complicated

Last edited:
Solution

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
that way bios/windows will...

First of all, thank you for your help so far and in particular this detailed explanation of this possible solution. But before I get my hands on trying this I wanna ask a few more questions:

You kept in mind, that all of what I explained also happens within the BIOS, yes? So, the Boot Logo won't show on my Monitor, only on my TV. Just adding this again, because for my understanding, anything software or windows related is out of causes, or not? Because you said "windows doesn't support".... Well, windows isn't loaded when I am just in the BIOS, or what am I not getting?

And like I said, when I am either in BIOS or in Windows with uninstalled Display Drivers and only the generic one, the plugin/unplug/plugin method works but as soon the driver gets installed or vice versa I restart from BIOS, it won't initialize my monitor anymore and will only initilazie my TV. Then, when a driver is installed, the unplug method also doesn't work anymore in Windows. Then, when drivers installed, it only works in BIOS. And all this for me, tells me with my limited understanding, that it has to be hardware related.

Also I just tested what you wanted me to test, by connecting my TV via VGA to my integrated GPU and plugging my Monitor via HDMI to my RX 570. I checked the device manager and tested everything, it simply won't initialize the monitor. It won't show it, nor do I get even a sound from plugging it in. Simply no signal. The other way around it works though, meaning, Monitor to VGA and TV to my RX 570.

Last but maybe important note, that I forgot to add: It worked before! This problem only started around 3 weeks back, before it worked with this very monitor. I installed Windows 11 and everything worked for 4 weeks or more, then all this mess started. But the OS cant be the problem when it happpens in Bios as well and doesn't the fact that it worked before, exclude your possible explanation?

First of all, thank you for your help so far and in particular this detailed explanation of this possible solution. But before I get my hands on trying this I wanna ask a few more questions:

You kept in mind, that all of what I explained also happens within the BIOS, yes? So, the Boot Logo won't show on my Monitor, only on my TV. Just adding this again, because for my understanding, anything software or windows related is out of causes, or not? Because you said "windows doesn't support".... Well, windows isn't loaded when I am just in the BIOS, or what am I not getting?

And like I said, when I am either in BIOS or in Windows with uninstalled Display Drivers and only the generic one, the plugin/unplug/plugin method works but as soon the driver gets installed or vice versa I restart from BIOS, it won't initialize my monitor anymore and will only initilazie my TV. Then, when a driver is installed, the unplug method also doesn't work anymore in Windows. Then, when drivers installed, it only works in BIOS. And all this for me, tells me with my limited understanding, that it has to be hardware related.

Also I just tested what you wanted me to test, by connecting my TV via VGA to my integrated GPU and plugging my Monitor via HDMI to my RX 570. I checked the device manager and tested everything, it simply won't initialize the monitor. It won't show it, nor do I get even a sound from plugging it in. Simply no signal. The other way around it works though, meaning, Monitor to VGA and TV to my RX 570.

Last but maybe important note, that I forgot to add: It worked before! This problem only started around 3 weeks back, before it worked with this very monitor. I installed Windows 11 and everything worked for 4 weeks or more, then all this mess started. But the OS cant be the problem when it happpens in Bios as well and doesn't the fact that it worked before, exclude your possible explanation?
Thoughts.
Work with the bios and forget windows.
You need to get the bios to talk to the monitor.
Look through the bios options and see what's there for the display.
If the monitor has osd look through the options.
If you have an igp test that.
Try a different monitor cable.
Try a different monitor.

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Thoughts.
Work with the bios and forget windows.
You need to get the bios to talk to the monitor.
Look through the bios options and see what's there for the display.
If the monitor has osd look through the options.
If you have an igp test that.
Try a different monitor cable.
Try a different monitor.

1. I already messed around with the BIOS already a few times, deactivated PPT, deactivate and activated the integrated gpu, changed the initial GPU it uses at the boot and so on.
  2. True!
  3. I just don't know anymore what exactly to try
  4. you mean the monitor menu? I already tried all options it has, starting obviously from changing the input.
  5. I have one and like I mentioned up there, it does work. I am currently using my integrated via VGA with my Monitor and my TV hangs on the RX 570.
  6. I tested the cables, they work but I also tested another cable. its not the cables for sure.
  7. I dont have one yet

I just dont understand how the cards HDMI does work with my TV, so it seems its not broken and also works even with my monitor, when Im in the BIOS or use the generic driver, by at first plugging in the TV, to then change it to my monitor. But once i restart the PC from BIOS, monitor again gets no signal. Or when im on my desktop and install the driver, it also gets no more signal after it.

However, technically it does work and thats why I hate this so much! If just the card would be broken by not functioniong anymore, okay. If the HDMI wouldnt work anymore, okay. But all of it seems to work per say, but something is messed up. And it doesnt make sense to me how when im in the bios or using a generic driver, my monitor gets recognized but only when i at first plug in my TV. A complete illogical mess (to me). I still thank you for your thoughts and im thankful for any kind of help and ideas. At least i wanna find out, what COULD be the problem.

well its hdmi, so bios or windows works similar way
there is a physical pin on hdmi cable which sends voltage, if there is resistance there, it will know that there is something connected (and it will know if its turned off or not), with another pin it sends 5v to monitor which will power up edid eeprom, then with another pin gpu will receive that edid from monitor so it can setup monitor to display output
since youre sayin it doesnt get edid from you monitor (as it still reads your TV) then either your edid chip is dead, has invalid data or no connection

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
well its hdmi, so bios or windows works similar way
there is a physical pin on hdmi cable which sends voltage, if there is resistance there, it will know that there is something connected (and it will know if its turned off or not), with another pin it sends 5v to monitor which will power up edid eeprom, then with another pin gpu will receive that edid from monitor so it can setup monitor to display output
since youre sayin it doesnt get edid from you monitor (as it still reads your TV) then either your edid chip is dead, has invalid data or no connection

Well that is now finally a technical explanation from someone. I was looking for something like this. So but then my question is: Why my monitor still works with my Playstation AND when i use that plug unplug technique? For me it looks like, that when I use that plug unplug technique, my gpu somehow uses the "profile" it initialized for my TV and throws that over my monitor and that seems to work for the given time, until it starts to get the EDID info again, by booting again or by installing the drivers within windows, which then seems to overwrite some stuff, so that in this case the unplug technique doesnt work anymore. (probably due to the driver somehow writing things in a more fixed configuration). If at least one of the two things, monitor or gpu would entirely not work within a given thing...okay then. But on one hand the montior works via HDMI with other devices (playstation), and then my GPU also works with a "monitor", naming my TV. Then one could say: maybe the gpu doesnt like my monitor or vice versa...but then why it worked for weeks, before this happened? Like dont get me wrong, what you say makes sense but i cant put it all together in my head.

can you at least confirm to me, that this is a highly unusal problem, that one barely ever encounters in his life!? because like yeah, okay, a dead monitor or a failing hdmi port? fine. A dead hdmi port on a gpu? fine. A completley dead gpu? fine. But this is a mess. It feels so stupid for me, that my TV runs just fine for hours, connected to my gpu and also my monitor works just fine, but together no chance. super frustrating.