Question RX 5700 XT Black/BSOD Issues. Where do I go from here?

Jun 12, 2020
Sorry for the long read, but I'm trying to touch on everything I've done with this PC.

So about 2 years ago I replaced my then 9 year old PC with the CyberPower GXIVR8020A4. The only upgrade I made at the time was an increase to the RAM. The PC came with 8GB of ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 Memory, so I found a 2 pack of the same memory online and brought my total up to 24 GBs. Aside from that the PC has been running smoothly with the factory components for the last 2 years.

Starting in about March I decided I wanted to get more into PC Gaming, so I decided to start making some upgrades. The first thing I did was swap out the stock WD Blue 1TB HDD for a Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB SSD. The upgrade went smoothly, but that Hard Drive was quickly loaded up with games so I wanted to utilize the original Hard Drive as additional storage. That created some conflicts because I re-connected it with Windows still installed, so the BIOS defaulted back to the original OS and was booting from the mechanical drive. I didn't want to wipe the hard drive so I ended up swapping it out for another 1 TB mechanical drive I had laying around that was originally inside one of those western digital external hard drives. After swapping the drive out I was able to set the BIOS to boot from the SSD drive and haven't had any issues with them since (aside from both being almost full now).

The next upgrade that was suggested to me was the GPU. The PC came with the MSI RX 580 Armor 4G, so sticking with AMD I decided to order the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB. Unfortunately when the GPU arrived from Amazon I realized that my existing power supply could not power the card, so I went to Best Buy and picked up the Corsair CX750M. I installed both the new PSU and GPU and had some issues locating the correct drivers, but eventually found what I thought were the correct ones and everything seemed to be working fine until I started getting the occasional BSOD. The BSODs started becoming more and more frequent with different errors every time, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers using DDU, but I was still having issues. About 2 or 3 weeks into having the card it starting making strange noises randomly. It didn't sound like coil whine. It was more of a crackling and crunching sound. I figured that maybe I just got a defective GPU and that it was connected to all of the other BSOD issues I was experiencing, so I exchanged the card for a replacement.

After installing the new card it worked fine for a little while, but I eventually got another BSOD, so I decided to dive deeper into the issue. I learned that a lot of people have been experiencing BSOD and black screen issues with the 5700xt because of the drivers. I also realized that the drivers I had been installing from their site were not the most recent version, so I did a driver uninstall using DDU and AMDs Driver Uninstall Tool and installed the new drivers to the most recent version which is 20.4.2.

But despite this I'm still seeing the occasional BSOD. The thing is it rarely (if ever) happens when I'm playing a game. It just seems to be random, but so far has been much less frequent than with the previous 5700 XT that I returned. It's just annoying because I never had this issue with the stock card (which I sold thinking that everything was functioning correctly). So I'm not sure where to go from here? I dropped $400 on this card, so I'd like it to run without issue. Should I just return 5700 XT and try my luck with an NVIDIA card? Any advice or suggestions and where the issues could be stemming from is appreciated. Thank you.

These are the BSOD errors I've received with the current GPU installed:

Kernal_mode_heap_corruption
Driver_unloaded_without_canceling_Pending_operations
Video TDR Failure

Current Specs for my PC:

CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K
Motherboard - MSI B250M Bazzoka Micro ATX
Memory - 24GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4
SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
HDD - WD 1TB HD
GPU - Gigabyte RX5700 XT 8 GB
PSU - Corsair CX750M