[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT Fan Noise at > 60 %

Aug 18, 2020
Hi,

I'm pretty much a noob with all things hardware, so please bear with me.
I just completed my first build with a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC and went on to set a custom fan curve. I just discovered that putting the fans on anything over 55% to 65% produces a loud "fan motor noise" (not sure how to describe it, it sounds high and squealing like an electric motor). The cards default max fan % is set to about 45/50 percent. I checked youtube for videos of max fan speed on GPUs, but only ever hear the high hiss of air in them, nothing like my card. I could still return it, so I'd like to hear from someone who also owns it, what does your card sound like at those fan speeds? is it loud like mine? THANKS!

Solution
Well its hard to say whether it is faulty or not without actually hearing it but I've had plenty of gpus with ridiculously loud fans especially when getting close to 100%. The key is though to try and cool your gpu, good case airflow, case fan position etc.

I have a 5700 xt which I have the power and fan slider to max, it can get fairly loud but I wear headphones so it doesn't bother me too much, my old 2080 sounded like a jet engine when it got hot.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Well its hard to say whether it is faulty or not without actually hearing it but I've had plenty of gpus with ridiculously loud fans especially when getting close to 100%. The key is though to try and cool your gpu, good case airflow, case fan position etc.

I have a 5700 xt which I have the power and fan slider to max, it can get fairly loud but I wear headphones so it doesn't bother me too much, my old 2080 sounded like a jet engine when it got hot.

Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished
It depends on the cards i guess, some cards sound like jet engine whirring up at >50% while some at 70%. But it's hard to tell without hearing it. What's the temps? If the temps is within 70 to 80C, i wouldnt worry much about increasing the fan speed. Keep at 50%.