[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT Performance in VR?

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Solution
Thats just the thing, i been debating whether i should go with 2060super or the 5700xt.

The 5700xt pretty much always comes out on top in most things, even games optimized for nvidia.

It even seems to be better in vr overall but if you watch the graphs from the review i linked, you will see that the 5700xt seems to take some crazy dips in frames sometimes..

So im really curious as to find out whether thats something people with the 5700xt actually deal with or if it potentially something that has been fixed since that review?

But it really makes me think about going with the 2060super despite its overall lower performance if it at least will be more stable in vr...

Ask yourself this, "Am I only going to play VR?" The...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Im curious what kind of performance people are getting with the 5700xt series?

I read a review on babeltechreviews which shows 5700xt is doing quite good but it seems to have some nasty frame drops every now and then.

So im wondering whether its something i should worry about if i decide to get a 5700xt or if it got fixed through drivers since then?

Article: https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rtx-2060-super-vs-the-rx-5700-xt-vs-the-rtx-2070-super/

Would depend on the games you play and how much you want to spend. My brother-in-law uses his "ancient" 980Ti for VR and it works just fine. Since the 5700 XT is only a "smidgen" faster (LMAO!) than his 980Ti, I would hazard a guess you'd be fine. That being said, nVidia is known to be superior for VR at the moment.

Here are a few older tests done when the 5700 first came out. I was just reading some posts on Reddit and a few people were saying they were pairing a 3600 & 5700 XT and their VR was smooth.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Would depend on the games you play and how much you want to spend. My brother-in-law uses his "ancient" 980Ti for VR and it works just fine. Since the 5700 XT is only a "smidgen" faster (LMAO!) than his 980Ti, I would hazard a guess you'd be fine. That being said, nVidia is known to be superior for VR at the moment.

Here are a few older tests done when the 5700 first came out. I was just reading some posts on Reddit and a few people were saying they were pairing a 3600 & 5700 XT and their VR was smooth.

Thats just the thing, i been debating whether i should go with 2060super or the 5700xt.

The 5700xt pretty much always comes out on top in most things, even games optimized for nvidia.

It even seems to be better in vr overall but if you watch the graphs from the review i linked, you will see that the 5700xt seems to take some crazy dips in frames sometimes..

So im really curious as to find out whether thats something people with the 5700xt actually deal with or if it potentially something that has been fixed since that review?

But it really makes me think about going with the 2060super despite its overall lower performance if it at least will be more stable in vr...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Ask yourself this, "Am I only going to play VR?" The 5700 series is also only into it's 3rd month since release. The drivers will get better as they mature.

Quoting the articles conclusion your linked to above:

"The RTX 2060 SUPER, the RX 5700 XT and the RTX 2070 SUPER are in approximately the same class when it comes to VR performance. The RX 5700 XT delivers higher unconstrained frames in 11 out of 12 games compared to the RTX 2060 SUPER but it only wins 2 games and ties one versus the RTX 2070 SUPER which is the fastest of the three cards we tested."

I'm not trying to sound like an AMD fanboy, but to me, the 5700 XT is just the better of the 2, even coming close to the 2070, a much more expensive card, which the 5700 XT even tied in a game.

The 2060 super is a great card in it's own right, I'm not knocking it. Were it's price $100 less than the XT, then it would be, for me, a winner and easy choice, but its not $100 cheaper (and some are actually more) so.. Either card you get will be sweet AND night & day better than the 1060, but in my uneducated opinion, the XT is the better buy overall.

Solution

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Ask yourself this, "Am I only going to play VR?" The 5700 series is also only into it's 3rd month since release. The drivers will get better as they mature.

Quoting the articles conclusion your linked to above:

"The RTX 2060 SUPER, the RX 5700 XT and the RTX 2070 SUPER are in approximately the same class when it comes to VR performance. The RX 5700 XT delivers higher unconstrained frames in 11 out of 12 games compared to the RTX 2060 SUPER but it only wins 2 games and ties one versus the RTX 2070 SUPER which is the fastest of the three cards we tested."

I'm not trying to sound like an AMD fanboy, but to me, the 5700 XT is just the better of the 2, even coming close to the 2070, a much more expensive card, which the 5700 XT even tied in a game.

The 2060 super is a great card in it's own right, I'm not knocking it. Were it's price $100 less than the XT, then it would be, for me, a winner and easy choice, but its not $100 cheaper (and some are actually more) so.. Either card you get will be sweet AND night & day better than the 1060, but in my uneducated opinion, the XT is the better buy overall.

Well i cant say i disagree, im just hoping somebody who has some experience with the 5700xt in vr would drop by and give their opinion and ease my heart so i can pull the trigger with good conscience 💩

Reactions: Mrgr74
Nov 10, 2019
Well i cant say i disagree, im just hoping somebody who has some experience with the 5700xt in vr would drop by and give their opinion and ease my heart so i can pull the trigger with good conscience 💩
I've ordered a PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon today to go in to my system. I too have spent a long time trying to decide whether to buy a 2060 Super an RX 5700 XT or a 2070 Super. Here in the Netherlands the price difference between the 5700 XT and the 2070 Super is on average €100 and, from all that I've read, the difference in price does not reflect the difference in performance.

I'm upgrading from an RX 580, so I'm certainly going to see an improvement in my VR experience. I'll pop back in to this thread next week and let you know what I think. As a point of reference I only play racing simulators in VR, but hopefully my subjective opinion will be enough to help others out.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I've ordered a PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon today to go in to my system. I too have spent a long time trying to decide whether to buy a 2060 Super an RX 5700 XT or a 2070 Super. Here in the Netherlands the price difference between the 5700 XT and the 2070 Super is on average €100 and, from all that I've read, the difference in price does not reflect the difference in performance.

I'm upgrading from an RX 580, so I'm certainly going to see an improvement in my VR experience. I'll pop back in to this thread next week and let you know what I think. As a point of reference I only play racing simulators in VR, but hopefully my subjective opinion will be enough to help others out.

It would be much appreciated!

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
The card arrived today and I dropped it in to my system. I ran a few synthetic benchmarks on it, I don't have more time today as I'm off out to a concert this evening. But here's to let you know I've not forgotten to make good on my promise!

VRMARK Orange Room 10275: https://www.3dmark.com/vrpor/366132

VRMARK Cyan Room 9015: https://www.3dmark.com/vrpcr/35905

VRMARK Blue Room 2466: https://www.3dmark.com/vrpbr/66543

Thanks for the update.

When you got time for it, i would like to hear if you notice any problems when playing in vr games with it.
In particularly bad frame drops, or if its just smooth.

Enjoy the concert!

Nov 10, 2019
Concert was great, thanks. Went to see Ibrahim Maalouf, a French-Lebanese jazz trumpet player with a bit of a cuban tint. Was most enjoyable.

Okay, some completely unscientific data for you.

My System
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Radeon 5700 XT (Running at Stock)
RAM: 16GB 3200 MHz
HMD: HTC Vive Pro

First thing to note is that my RX 580 previously had to run at 58% resolution and spent most of it's time in Asynchronous Space Warp. Before anyone wonders why you would pair an RX 580 and a Vive Pro, I actually won the Vive Pro from EVGA in a competition. The 5700 XT, according to Steam, should be set a 116% which is exactly double what it used to be. I've set it all to 100% and will use fpsVR to determine what percentage of Super Sampling is best

As I mentioned I use VR for Sim Racing, and spent some time yesterday racing in iRacing. I'm using the same specs in game is in this video, from the video details you can see that he is using a Ryzen 7 3700X and a GTX 1080 Ti.

Setting supersampling via fpsVR to 130% I am able to more or less maintain 90 FPS for an entire race (21 laps around Brands Hatch with 17 other cars). A race, in this instance, was between 40 and 45 minutes. 3% of the time the FPS dropped and ASW kicked in. I raced three times and only on one run did I see a single frame drop, Interestingly this occurred when no one else was visible around me. The other two times it dropped zero frames. It does however drop frames all over the place in menus and during replays.

Additionally I also took a look at rFactor 2. Here I was only able to push Super Sampling to 120%, but I was able to raise many graphical settings (twitter link below) and create a much more enjoyable experience. I only raced once in rFactor 2 (11 Laps around Brands Hatch) . In rFactor 2 I saw more frame drops than in iRacing, a total of four in a single race.

I tried to use something more mainstream, Project CARS 2 , but I've not got the frame rate stable yet. I did however get Assetto Corsa looking really good, once again at 120% Super Sampling. It has a built in benchmark and that also ran without dropping a single frame.

I'll obviously be tweaking my settings more in the future, as well as looking at other games. But for now this is all I have to share with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzydream

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Concert was great, thanks. Went to see Ibrahim Maalouf, a French-Lebanese jazz trumpet player with a bit of a cuban tint. Was most enjoyable.

Okay, some completely unscientific data for you.

My System
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Radeon 5700 XT (Running at Stock)
RAM: 16GB 3200 MHz
HMD: HTC Vive Pro

First thing to note is that my RX 580 previously had to run at 58% resolution and spent most of it's time in Asynchronous Space Warp. Before anyone wonders why you would pair an RX 580 and a Vive Pro, I actually won the Vive Pro from EVGA in a competition. The 5700 XT, according to Steam, should be set a 116% which is exactly double what it used to be. I've set it all to 100% and will use fpsVR to determine what percentage of Super Sampling is best

As I mentioned I use VR for Sim Racing, and spent some time yesterday racing in iRacing. I'm using the same specs in game is in this video, from the video details you can see that he is using a Ryzen 7 3700X and a GTX 1080 Ti.

Setting supersampling via fpsVR to 130% I am able to more or less maintain 90 FPS for an entire race (21 laps around Brands Hatch with 17 other cars). A race, in this instance, was between 40 and 45 minutes. 3% of the time the FPS dropped and ASW kicked in. I raced three times and only on one run did I see a single frame drop, Interestingly this occurred when no one else was visible around me. The other two times it dropped zero frames. It does however drop frames all over the place in menus and during replays.

Additionally I also took a look at rFactor 2. Here I was only able to push Super Sampling to 120%, but I was able to raise many graphical settings (twitter link below) and create a much more enjoyable experience. I only raced once in rFactor 2 (11 Laps around Brands Hatch) . In rFactor 2 I saw more frame drops than in iRacing, a total of four in a single race.

I tried to use something more mainstream, Project CARS 2 , but I've not got the frame rate stable yet. I did however get Assetto Corsa looking really good, once again at 120% Super Sampling. It has a built in benchmark and that also ran without dropping a single frame.

I'll obviously be tweaking my settings more in the future, as well as looking at other games. But for now this is all I have to share with you.

Sorry for being a bit late here...

Thanks the detailed resume!

It sounds to be doing good in gaming applications.
Guess i'll just have to wait for black friday so i can pull the trigger on the RX 5700 XT.

Do let me know if you find any abnormalities in the meantime.

Also, any other information about other VR games would still be much appreciated since there aren't a lot of people speaking of its performance in VR games

Nov 10, 2019
Not so much for you this time,,,

I spent some time optimising some of the aforementioned games for use on a single screen, and ultra wide at 3440 x1400. Safe to say, you can pretty much max all the sliders...apart from when it rains.

I also spent some time playing a couple of simple VR games, Ultrawings and Vox Machinae. They are relatively simple games with no graphics settings. I ran both with supper sampling at 120% (I probably could have gone higher) and played both games for about an hour. Neither dropped any frames and both utilised around 40-50% of the graphics card performance. Reprojection never kicked in.

I think I've got Project Cars 2 more or less optimised. I'll report back on that next time. I'll also probably break out something mainstream like Robo Recall.

TRENDING THREADS