Question RX 5700xt screen flickering during games

Jan 11, 2020
I recently upgraded my gpu to a rx 5700xt from a rx570 and am receiving strange horizontal line screen flicker. This seems to only appear while playing games and looking at a menu, I have tried overwatch, Rust, CS:GO and borderlands 3, all of which have the same issue. I have tried multiple monitors and cables to rule out any issues with my monitor. When I installed my new GPU (Rx 5700xt) I wiped my pc and put on a clean install of window. Just to clarify this screen flicker only happens when I look at a menu in game and doesn't appear when normally playing but as soon as I enter a pause menu or even look at a scoreboard I receive screen flicker, it also seems to only happen when I move my mouse in these menus. Any help with this would be great.
PC specs:
i7 4790
16gb ddr3 ram
RX 5700xt
500gb ssd
1tb hdd
500gb hdd
650w PSU

JuhaniPelaa

Commendable
Dec 31, 2019
Try downloading newest drivers from AMD and manually installing them.
Also try using a different output type in your gpu (if your using hdmi switch to dp cable)

Jan 11, 2020
Try downloading newest drivers from AMD and manually installing them.
Also try using a different output type in your gpu (if your using hdmi switch to dp cable)
Already tried using HDMI and DP, still receive screen flicker on both. I have already reinstalled drivers twice now including just now and the flickering is still there.

JuhaniPelaa

Commendable
Dec 31, 2019
Seems very interesting. If you have done clean install of windows and its up to date and drivers are ok then there is nothing to be easily done. All i know that its a software problem if it only happens in game menus.

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hello, I've the exact same issue. Try out the 19.12.1 driver. Flickering happens on 19.12.2 or newer drivers for me. I already a put word in on AMD's support page. You should too, so it's easier for them to notice.
This is what I get on the newest driver.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Yk3pPIm
Got the SAME EXACT problem.
I've just spent 4 hours trying to fix, no way.
I will try again the 19.12.1 before slamming the 5700XT into its original box and sending it back to where it came from.
I'm hating AMD, and I am hating money because if I had some more money I would have picked a 2070Super and would have avoided so many problems which ruin my gaming experience.

I have still this Problem do you guys have any suggestion to fix it?
Most people with prior problems are reporting much better results, many with all problems fixed, using the latest driver package.

But do a thoroughly-clean clean install to make sure nothing remains to mess things up:
  • Uninstall drivers
  • Run the AMD CleanUp Utility in Safe Mode
  • Run Display Driver Uninstaller to clean up whatever that doesn't clean up, also in Safe Mode
  • When re-booting into windows, disconnect internet cable or disable router so Windows doesn't try to update drivers
  • Install the latest chipset drivers if you have an AMD CPU/chipset motherboard (you have to because DDU and possibly even AMD Cleanup will remove them)
  • Install the latest (20.2.1) GPU driver... do an advanced install and tick the box for a 'reset' or 'refresh' or whatever it is called.
While the latest drivers are better, people do the following in Radeon Settings to help assure stability:
disable enhanced sync​
disable super virtual resolution​
disable anti-lag​

As for me, I choose to install in 'driver only' and use MSI Afterburner to control overclocks and fans. Because Radeon Settings doesn't get installed this way none of those above features are enabled. While it work much better for me, I can't say driver-only assists any in stability for the current driver package.

Also disable Hardware Acceleration in your browser as it seems to be a cause of random black-screens. It's really unnecessary with modern gaming capable processors anyway.

Last edited: