Question Rx 580 8gb or gtx 1060 with a 450w Psu

saipawan24

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Hey everyone, I want to upgrade my gpu to rx 570 or rx 580 and also gtx 1060(if my monitor does not support freesync). Can any of these graphics cards be handled by a 450w corsair rm 450?
Monitor: Samsung C24F390FHW (24 inch curved monitor)
Thanks in advance.

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
the 580 is a better card. but if you don't buy another PSU you won't be ab;e to run it properly. so without getting the PSU the 10960 6gb is the better choice. they are nearly identical and it is a cool, power efficient card.

Reactions: saipawan24

saipawan24

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Thanks for the reply. My main ambition in buying the Rx 580 or Rx 570 is that I bought a Freesync compatible monitor(Samsung) which the Gtx 1060 does not support. BTW is there an advantage of using Freesync vs Not using Freesync?

saipawan24

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Hi guys, Sorry for a long break because of my examinations. Now I bought Rx 580 sapphire pulse. Can anyone please suggest me a good power supply and brand that can handle my new graphics card.

saipawan24

Commendable
May 6, 2017
What are your full system specs? How old is your PSU? Unless you have a power hungry CPU, you should be OK with your current PSU.
My computer specs: Cpu- Ryzen 5 1600,
Gpu- Sapphire Rx 580 pulse, 8Gb ddr4 3000mhz, lg cd-rom drive, 2tb sshd seagate firecuda. My Power supply is 2 years old. But the issue I am facing now is graphical glitches in games like gta 5, The temparature going upwards 75 degree celcius. Please do let me know if the graphics card itself is faulty or under powered by the PSU I currently own. Thanks

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It seems unlikely a power supply would cause graphical glitches. Nothing is overclocked? Did you do a clean install of Windows when you got that CPU and motherboard? Did you use DDU to uninstall any previous graphics drivers you had prior to installing the RX 580 and installing graphics drivers?

saipawan24

Commendable
May 6, 2017
It seems unlikely a power supply would cause graphical glitches. Nothing is overclocked? Did you do a clean install of Windows when you got that CPU and motherboard? Did you use DDU to uninstall any previous graphics drivers you had prior to installing the RX 580 and installing graphics drivers?
The graphics card that I bought(Sapphire pulse rx 580 ) which is factory overclocked (1366 Mhz) I believe and Memory(2000mhz) . Yes, I used DDU to remove all the previous GPU(Gtx 750ti ) drivers. The games ran without issues with my previous GPU. I am suspecting the PSU because of the random restart my pc gone through right after I installed my New GPU. I also checked event viewer for the error and I found a critical error regarding kernel power(The system has been shutdown unexpectedly). Thanks for reply

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you think your power supply may not be enough you could do something like run simultaneous CPU + GPU stress tests. Something like Prime95 + Furmark. If you're hitting the power limits of your PSU it should shut off under that kind of load.

Alternatively, you can reduce the power consumption of the card (without impacting performance) by undervolting it.

Reactions: saipawan24

saipawan24

Commendable
May 6, 2017
If you think your power supply may not be enough you could do something like run simultaneous CPU + GPU stress tests. Something like Prime95 + Furmark. If you're hitting the power limits of your PSU it should shut off under that kind of load.

Alternatively, you can reduce the power consumption of the card (without impacting performance) by undervolting it.
I have now completed running furmark for 15 minutes with the power consumption reaching 155.5 W and the temperatures maxed at 77 degress. The Average fps is about between 47 and 55. A slightly noticable stuttering is across the display with 2X MSAA. There are no random restarts and unexpected shutdowns observed.I had completed userbenchmark test to make sure everything is normal but I found two problems related to Hard drive(seagate firecuda 2tb) and RAM(Crucial ballistix elite 8GB 3000Mts) both are shown as performance below expectations roughly(20% and 16%) Could this be responsible for gpu issues and while gaming 100% gpu utillzation but only 20% cpu utillization. Thanks

Last edited: