Question Rx 580 8GB Under-Preforming to My Old GTX 960 4gb?!

dballs

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hey guys.
I just build a new PC (see specs below) and used my old GTX 960 4GB from my old computer as I had upgraded it a few years back. After seeing what an improvement I got from the new computer I realized how bottle necked my GPU was. So I wanted to upgrade my GPU to a RX 580 8GB. I bought one off eBay that didn't seem to have been mined or abused. It was in great looking condition, came with all the packaging and seller said he was upgrading his GPU. Seller had 100% feedback rating.
After installing the RX 580 I am getting ~50 FPS less in the CSGO benchmark! With my GTX 960 at low settings I was getting ~270 FPS. With the RX 580 I am getting ~220! While I know the GTX 960 was fine for CSGO I figured I would upgrade for other games I would see the increased performance like Apex Legends and also CSGO would get a little boost as well. I never thought I would get LESS FPS with the RX 580 in CSGO... Is there any reason for this?
I have used DDU driver uninstaller. The Clock speed is showing 1380 MHz. I am running the latest AMD RX 500 series driver (19.4.3 at the time of post). Windows is up to date. like what...? I have tried uninstalling all drivers in safe mode and reinstalling them. It's all the same hardware and settings.
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (3.4 GHz)
Motherboard: ASRock Steel Legend B450M (running latest 2.00 BIOS update)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000, 15 CAS (XMP profile is set) (firmware updated)
Storage: Intel 660p 512gb NVMe
Power Supply: 850 Watt 80+ Bronze Rosewill Glaciar
OLD GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB
NEW GPU: MSI Gamer X RX 580 8GB
Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hrz 1080p monitor connected with a DVI DL cable

Last edited:
Power Supply: 850 Watt 80+ Bronze Rosewill Glaciar

Hello, first of all, please kindly change this PSU to power up the RX 580. This is a very low-end TIER 5/E power supply unit, if I'm not mistaken, because the GALCIER series are of cheap quality. Not recommended for stressful situations, or hardcore gaming. Grab yourself some other high-end PSU.

Don't RISK using the RX580 with this PSU, even though it might be working fine. That's my personal recommendation. Don't overlook or skimp on the PSU.

I never thought I would get LESS FPS with the RX 580 in CSGO... Is there any reason for this?

FYI:: CS:GO is mostly a CPU-bound game. But this also depends on the screen resolution. Are you on 1080p, 2K, or a 4K monitor screen ??

Last edited:
Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try in the Radeon Settings below;

AnvZeRnvQLKSTQpxRkjibw.png

• Wait for Vertical Refresh: Enhanced Sync
  • Surface format opt: Off
  • Texture Filtering Mode: Performance
  • Tessellation Mode: Override Application settings -> Max Tessellation Lvl: Off
  • If csgo is on SSD, enable shader cache to On
-----

Where did you get the card from? 100% feedback isn't always reliable. There have been numerous cases where sellers from places around the world and a good chunk of those from China with positive feedback selling fake cards flashed to appear as the product. GPUz is able to confirm if the graphics card is legit. Hopefully for you it isn't fake and just need to tinker with settings.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-z-update-detect-fake-nvidia-graphics-cards,37934.html

-----

If you decide to replace your power supply, any modular cable(s) in use providing power (Those that you plug into the PSU) will need to be replaced with cables the new psu comes with. There isn't a unified standard when it comes to modular pinouts and there's a high potential risk of shorting components if use other cables from different PSU models even if same brand.

dballs

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
FYI:: CS:GO is mostly a CPU-bound game. But this also depends on the screen resolution. Are you on 1080p, 2K, or a 4K monitor screen ??

I did not change the settings at all. I wanted a side by side comparison. Monitor is a BenQ XL2411 144hrz 1080p monitor connected withe DVI DL cable.

This is a very low-end TIER 5/E power supply unit, if I'm not mistaken, because the GLACIER series are of cheap quality.

I read they are upper mid range. I read a couple articles and they said they were surprisingly decent being a mid range PSU. Am I wrong? could this really be the difference between 50 FPS? I feel like a lower end (not terrible) PSU will just shorten the life of the components and not THAT much performance. Am I wrong?

For CS:GO, did you alter any settings/config files to boost the performance while using the 960?

Nope. All same! No change at all. I just changed the drivers and the first thing I did was load up CSGO and run the benchmark.

Where did you get the card from? 100% feedback isn't always reliable. There have been numerous cases where sellers from places around the world and a good chunk of those from China with positive feedback selling fake cards flashed to appear as the product. GPUz is able to confirm if the graphics card is legit. Hopefully for you it isn't fake and just need to tinker with settings.

Here is a pic GPU-z Seems legit
Here is the listing from Olathe, Kansas, United States. (188) 100%. eBay member since Sep 23, 2001. Seems legit.

If you decide to replace your power supply, any modular cable(s) in use providing power (Those that you plug into the PSU) will need to be replaced with cables the new psu comes with. There isn't a unified standard when it comes to modular pinouts and there's a high potential risk of shorting components if use other cables from different PSU models even if same brand.

I used the same cables as on my GTX 960 (though went from 2x6 pin to 1x8 pin). Although I do have cable extensions on them for aesthetics.

I will try some of the other suggestions tomorrow. Thanks all! You guys rock!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Long as the power cables are original to the PSU which they appear to be. Can get lucky blindly using different cables without testing them first with a multimeter but is a gamble. Using extensions shouldn't be an issue as these cables simply carry on with the PSU's original pin layout.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
1) Go into the Wattman section of the Radeon panel and set the power limit to 50% instead of the default 0%.

2) Undervolting often do wonders with the RX580. The cards runs cooler and can stay much longer, if always, at its highest speed. Quieter operation is also a nice side effect.

3) While playing the game, open the performance monitor overlay (Alt-R or CTRL-Shit-O) and check the GPU usage and its speed as well as CPU usage. It could gives some clues as to what may be wrong.

4) Some people report that with CSGO they had to remove/rename the cfg file in the game folder to start with a fresh one. I guess that the game might put some nVidia specific parameters in its config file the first time it launches but doesn't update it if there's a GC change...

5) Other people report that, for whatever reason, joining the AMD User Experience Program could cause performance issues with this game. So, just check in the preferences tab of Radeon Settings to make sure this option isn't checked.

Last edited:

Hazzahead

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
Try in the Radeon Settings below;

AnvZeRnvQLKSTQpxRkjibw.png

• Wait for Vertical Refresh: Enhanced Sync
  • Surface format opt: Off
  • Texture Filtering Mode: Performance
  • Tessellation Mode: Override Application settings -> Max Tessellation Lvl: Off
  • If csgo is on SSD, enable shader cache to On
-----

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-z-update-detect-fake-nvidia-graphics-cards,37934.html

-----

sorry, just saw your profile picture. BANDWAGON!

Reactions: boju

dballs

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Well, it turns out I am an idiot (as I am sure some of you thought). I swear I didn't change any settings in CSGO for the past like 3 years lol but the only thing I can think of to get the results I got was I put "-tickrate 128" in the launch options between when I did my benchmark on my old gtx 960 and my new RX 580. I don't remember doing this but I couldn't replicate my bad results with some A/B ing between the two cards but if I put changed this value in the launch options it gave me similar results to my original post. The RX 580 is a little better in CSGO (as it's super CPU based) and is all most twice as good in benchmarks for other games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Division 2, and Siege.

I did try every single one of your guy's suggestions and I can't thank you guys enough for your time and effort to reply here. As a tech myself I should know better and test the shit out of something before posting. I was just too eager to get the results I thought I should get. Keep rockin guys!

Reactions: boju