[SOLVED] RX 580 8w on idle

May 29, 2020
i'm having an extremely low power consumption problem. Even when running MU online it peaks at 12w.
PSU - Corsair CX550M (newly bought)
Radeon chill is disabled too
i'm having an old mobo - H61MLC

Solution
Do you see any problem from the graph provided? To me it seems like a low power draw affecting the low frame rate? Or maybe i really need a newer game to test if the power consumption goes up at all

Do a newer game. Again, we're talking about a 20-year-old game that didn't even really need a GPU. If you want to test if a GPU is underperforming, you need to give it a task at which it actually has to perform. Which means a game recently or even better, a benchmark like Superposition.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
On what basis is there a problem other than wattage? You're going to have to be considerably more clear as to why you think there's a problem.

A 20-year-game that you could run on a Pentium III with no real GPU shouldn't be putting a load on a modern GPU. I'd be far more concerned if the GPU was under a significant load here.

May 29, 2020
Ah i see, i gotten the new PSU specifically for this card.
Sometimes the GPU utilisation reaches a 100% and yet the GPU power consumption stays at 8-10w.
Was wondering if i screwed up any settings along the way.

It being a 20 year game, i am still not getting an ideal smooth FPS.
i'm running a i7-2700k, 8gb of ram along with a sumsung evo 850 ssd.
With that low power draw on the GPU worries me a little thus i thought there's a problem

May 29, 2020
Can anyone answer me? Is there a bios setting issue? Doesn't it seems odd to have a power hungry GPU only running at constact 8-12w? i've looked up how others find that its a problem even at 40w, 70w, 130w.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Can anyone answer me? Is there a bios setting issue? Doesn't it seems odd to have a power hungry GPU only running at constact 8-12w? i've looked up how others find that its a problem even at 40w, 70w, 130w.

There's not much to address; you still haven't provided much info suggesting there's an actual problem. No benchmarks, no screenshots, no data, no testing on newer games, not even any demonstration of how you're tracking GPU wattage (software is notoriously accurate).

May 29, 2020
Do you see any problem from the graph provided? To me it seems like a low power draw affecting the low frame rate? Or maybe i really need a newer game to test if the power consumption goes up at all

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Do a newer game. Again, we're talking about a 20-year-old game that didn't even really need a GPU. If you want to test if a GPU is underperforming, you need to give it a task at which it actually has to perform. Which means a game recently or even better, a benchmark like Superposition.

Solution