Question RX 580 after change thermal pads and clean, dont have stable clock and power is small, turn off display???

Aug 2, 2024
Please help me. I have a Sapphire nitro+ rx 580 8gb 1411Mhz. I had a temperature over 75, I don't like it to go over 70.
I bought a graphics card, and it couldn't support dual monitors, I thought it was the adapter, so I ignored it.
The monitors turned off as soon as I connected the second one, the fan was at full speed, and the driver was false.
I decided to clean it. It wasn't very dirty but the pads were in very bad shape and I replaced them with 1mm pads and now I have a problem.
Now, when the graphics are loaded, the clock goes down to 1000 on the test, but it never reaches the maximum.
And after ten seconds of load, the monitor turns off and fan turn off at full speed. Turn off moniotors can fix with underclock 5 to 10 percents.
But the clock is not stable, it varies between 900 and 1100 on test, in the game 1100 MHz to 1200 MHz. The 6pin connector does not react at all, it can be done without it, it draws up to 120, 130 watts. It used to draw up to 180 watts. Gpu temps now is max 69!!!

Last edited:

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
Based on the description you provided, i can come to the conclusion that the GPU itself does not have full contact with the cooler.
Since the pads are arround 0,7, and you used 1mm ones, then you will have a gap between GPU die and the cooler.
At least this was in my case when i changed pads and paste.
So because of this gap the GPU overheats and enters in throttle mode.

Aug 2, 2024
Hello.
Based on the description you provided, i can come to the conclusion that the GPU itself does not have full contact with the cooler.
Since the pads are arround 0,7, and you used 1mm ones, then you will have a gap between GPU die and the cooler.
At least this was in my case when i changed pads and paste.
So because of this gap the GPU overheats and enters in throttle mode.
Therefore, it does not matter that he shows that it is 69 degrees. Does the chip have more and doesn't show it??? Which one do you recommend to use 0.5mm or 0.75mm. What are the factories used by sapphire??