[SOLVED] RX 580 black screen when games launch

Dodfather

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I've just bought a used 580 8gb to replace my old GTX680 hoping I could get back to some gaming while in lockdown (not played anything in years really), however any time I start a game the screen goes black. System specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

i5 3570k oc to 4.2ghz

16gb RAM (8 Corsair Vengeance Pro, 8 Patriot G2, running at 1333 as 1600 wouldn't work)

Corsair 600w PSU (not sure of the exact model just now)

I couldn't even get the system to boot at first but fixed that with a BIOS update. Now when I try to play CoD Warzone the initial menu comes up ok, and I can go into the options screens to change settings, but when I click onto Warzone the screen goes black. Tried running The Talos Principle through Steam and it's a similar thing, the initial loading screens show up but when the main menu appears the picture disappears. The game is still running as I can hear the music and the noise from tabbing between the different options, I just can't see anything. Also tried Unigine Superposition, which gets the full way through and produces results, there's just no picture while it's running.

I've tried 20.4.1, 20.2.2 and 19.10.2 (recommended for MW) drivers, but have the same issue with all of them. All Nvidia drivers were removed with DDU in safe mode.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Everything was working fine with the 680 so I'm really hoping I haven't just bought a duff card...

Solution
The RX580 needs more power than a GTX680.
I presume you have plugged in both the requisite 6 and 8 pin pcie power connectors.
When the need for gaming cranks up that is when the power draw goes up.

Possibly,, the psu is no longer up to the task.
Possibly, the RX580 has been overclocked and is drawing more than normal power.
And, unfortunately, possibly you have a defective card.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
I've just bought a used 580 8gb to replace my old GTX680 hoping I could get back to some gaming while in lockdown (not played anything in years really), however any time I start a game the screen goes black. System specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

i5 3570k oc to 4.2ghz

16gb RAM (8 Corsair Vengeance Pro, 8 Patriot G2, running at 1333 as 1600 wouldn't work)

Corsair 600w PSU (not sure of the exact model just now)

I couldn't even get the system to boot at first but fixed that with a BIOS update. Now when I try to play CoD Warzone the initial menu comes up ok, and I can go into the options screens to change settings, but when I click onto Warzone the screen goes black. Tried running The Talos Principle through Steam and it's a similar thing, the initial loading screens show up but when the main menu appears the picture disappears. The game is still running as I can hear the music and the noise from tabbing between the different options, I just can't see anything. Also tried Unigine Superposition, which gets the full way through and produces results, there's just no picture while it's running.

I've tried 20.4.1, 20.2.2 and 19.10.2 (recommended for MW) drivers, but have the same issue with all of them. All Nvidia drivers were removed with DDU in safe mode.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Everything was working fine with the 680 so I'm really hoping I haven't just bought a duff card...
Have you only tried fullscreen? Maybe if you put it in windowed mode it would work. If it works it probably isn't a hardware problem?

I presume you have plugged in both the requisite 6 and 8 pin pcie power connectors.

Last edited:
Solution

Dodfather

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I presume you have plugged in both the requisite 6 and 9 pin pcie power connectors.

Yeah it's rated as needing 500w so I'd hoped the PSU would be fine. It's an 8 pin connection on the card and everything is connected.

GPU-Z shows it's at stock clocks.