[SOLVED] RX 580 crashing when streaming heavy games on discord

May 29, 2020
So I got this msi RX 580 gaming x on ebay. The thing is that i get black screens sometimes, specially when i'm streaming heavy titles on discord, when it happens i have to turn off the Pc completely and turn on again. It only happened once when i wasn't streaming. The seller seemed trust worthy and i even contacted him about this problem. Looks like he has never run to this issue before. So it's probably coming from my side. I did some digging and ran some tests and monitored everything including GPU- Power usage and clock to see if everything runs fine. Turns out the card can't run on it's max clock speed on GPU-intensive titles. It always jumps between 1100 to close 1300 and never gets even close to 1380 MHz (which is the max clock of this model) and the power usage is always going up and down between 110 to 130 Watts, which is unbelievable to me for a RX 580. Surprisingly i don't see any performance reduction, maybe like 4-5 fps maximum. My guess is that the card is not getting the energy that it needs from the PSU, and when i start streaming it demands more juice and the PSU fails to provide the additional wattage, which consequently leads to GPU crash. I'm using a be quiet! pure power 11 500w gold. Before getting the RX 580 i made sure that it's enough for it. I've read every single threads i could found on the internet related to using a 500w for a RX 580 and it looked like it was perfectly fine. I actually did some stuff to fix the problem. I tried raising the power limit to 50%, decreasing it to -25%, setting the fan speeds to 100% when reaching higher temps, DDU, windows reinstallation and swapping the 8 pin PCIe connector. None of them worked. I even ran into BSoD a while after decreasing the power limit. Windows drivers are not all updated tho, one of the SATA related drivers is probably corrupted and i can't risk updating even one of them because i don't have the time to make a restore point before every update. So the SATA drivers are not updated and not terribly outdated either.

Should i get a new PSU? I might upgrade to a RTX 3050 super or something when they come out and i heard the RTX 30 is going to need a hell lot of power. What scares me, is that the card might totally fail after crashing so much. It doesn't happen that often tho, unless i stream heavy games. I'm not that pro in such things, so please lemme know if i'm missing something or doing anything wrong. I was going for a new gaming mouse, but health comes first. Thank you in advance...

My Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3300x
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo
Mobo: Asrock B450m pro4
Memory: 16Gb G.skill Aegis 3200
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1tb
VGA: Msi Rx 580 8Gb gaming x
PSU: Be quiet! pure power 11 500w gold

Solution
ARE you using the Motherboard App to control the CPU clocking?
DONT!
Use back the Ryzen Master from AMD.
And then your PSU not enough power should be 650 watt.

I have AMD Ryzen 3700x, MSI Tomahawk B450 Max, 2 X 8GB Hyper X, GPU AMD 250.
PSU is Vantec Ion 620w (not enough overhead)
Can run but the power plug feels warm.

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
ARE you using the Motherboard App to control the CPU clocking?
DONT!
Use back the Ryzen Master from AMD.
And then your PSU not enough power should be 650 watt.

I have AMD Ryzen 3700x, MSI Tomahawk B450 Max, 2 X 8GB Hyper X, GPU AMD 250.
PSU is Vantec Ion 620w (not enough overhead)
Can run but the power plug feels warm.

Last edited:
Solution