[SOLVED] Rx 580 died due to windows?

Feb 26, 2021
I bougth a shapire pulse rx 580 from second hand. I tested it on my computer and it were completly funcional and working fine. When i installed it on other computer with more gpus(6 more) windows didnt' start and got about 20 minutes charging so i desconected it from the electricity. Now the gpu isn't detected on any computer. It's possible that windows broken the firmeware?
First, I thought the gpu died, bad luck. But i repeated the proces with another gpu, tested on a computer, all correct. After reinstalling windows due to the first problem, i tried to use this card on that sistem (with another 6 working gpus like before) and hapened the same, windows didn't start with an infinite charching screen and after that other shapire pulse rx 580 is dead.
What do you think?

Solution
I would do 1 of 3 things;

1. I would keep your system running as is with the 6 current cards and return the cards you got.

2. I would upgrade the current low end PSU's you have for much more efficient, high quality PSUs and keep just the 6 original GPUs running. Get 2 of these:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-g...=198&refdomain=pcpartpicker.com&skuId=6209800

***I forgot to mention that there are some PSUs with 1600+ watts and enough 6+2 PCIe connectors and amperage to reduce your need to only 1 PSU, but I cannot find any in stock at this...
I think that adding a 7th gpu to a system is a bad idea unless you have a 1800 watt 250 amp 12v rail PSU. I am assuming you are using it as a mining PC? Your PSU could have potentially damaged the card by not properly powering it upon startup because of the strain it was under powering up 7 total gpus at once.

Feb 26, 2021
i tink the psu isn't the problem, it's a mining rig and it haves 2 psu one of 1000w and another of 750w synchronized so it would be enough. The 6 that are running right now just use 1kw (mesured from wall).

i tink the psu isn't the problem, it's a mining rig and it haves 2 psu one of 1000w and another of 750w synchronized so it would be enough. The 6 that are running right now just use 1kw (mesured from wall).
There are reasons why using 2 PSU's is riskier than the standard of one. You could have started the system and the weaker of the two PSU's could have shorted the card. One of the main concerns for systems with this many GPU's is the amperage on the 12v rail. When you started the computer the PSU connected to the GPU in questions could have had one of any number of issues that caused damage to at least one of your cards.

What I do know. Windows 10 did not do the damage to your card. I know that the method of powering all those cards you have is unconventional and risky to a degree.

Reactions: Krotow
Feb 26, 2021
First of all thanks for your answers. I didn't know that 2 psu where mor risky, as far as I know if they are correctly synchronized it wouldn't there are any problem. Acepting they are dead
is there any way to check it for getting sure. (I have a lot electrical tools but i'm not an expert on that kind of electronics).

Feb 26, 2021
PSU 1: High Power Direct12 1000W 80Plus .
PSU 2: BitFenix Whisper Fuente de Alimentación 750W 80+ Gold Modular.
Motherboard: asrock h110 pro btc+
CPU: Intel pentium g4500
Dead gpus: 2 shapire pulse radeon rx 580
Rig gpus: 6 shapire nitro+ radeon rx 580 special edition.

PSU 1: High Power Direct12 1000W 80Plus .
PSU 2: BitFenix Whisper Fuente de Alimentación 750W 80+ Gold Modular.
Motherboard: asrock h110 pro btc+
CPU: Intel pentium g4500
Dead gpus: 2 shapire pulse radeon rx 580
Rig gpus: 6 shapire nitro+ radeon rx 580 special edition.
So just based on that information I can tell you a few things.

1. Those are PSU's I have never heard of, which by itself is not necessarily bad, however, I doubt they are based on a reliable psu architecture.

2. Your original 6 cards each have a power requirement of 235-250 watts under load which means you need 1410 minimum watts of power for the original 6 not including another ~150 watts for the rest of the system.

3. The amperage on the 12v rail for the both PSU's would be getting taxed hard and basically maxing out those PSU's assuming they are well build.

1. I would keep your system running as is with the 6 current cards and return the cards you got.

2. I would upgrade the current low end PSU's you have for much more efficient, high quality PSUs and keep just the 6 original GPUs running. Get 2 of these:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-g...=198&refdomain=pcpartpicker.com&skuId=6209800

***I forgot to mention that there are some PSUs with 1600+ watts and enough 6+2 PCIe connectors and amperage to reduce your need to only 1 PSU, but I cannot find any in stock at this moment

3. I would add 2 PSU's to your system with room to expand your current mining rig with 2-6 more GPUs. (most exspensive) Get 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4QD7RM?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

or 2 of these for even more cards and efficiency:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788DL6VN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 26, 2021
Thanks for your answer. I don't know if you are acquainted with mining but when you are mining the power consumption depends on the algorithm thaht you are mining. In my case the 6 gpu mining consumption is 1kw from wall what it means that the real gpu consume is under that, probably abou 800-900w, the rest is due to psu eficciecy. The PSUs are reliable i research them before buying because it isn't my firts mining rig and it hapened me before to buy scam PSUs.

Any way the theorie of insufcient PSU don't have sense (for me maybie i'm wrong) because all has occurred when starting windows and there isn't chgarge to the gpu. To say more when starting the sistem the consume from wall is about 200-300w so it's far away the teorical 1750w of the sistem.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021

***I forgot to mention that there are some PSUs with 1600+ watts and enough 6+2 PCIe connectors and amperage to reduce your need to only 1 PSU, but I cannot find any in stock at this moment

3. I would add 2 PSU's to your system with room to expand your current mining rig with 2-6 more GPUs. (most exspensive) Get 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4QD7RM?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

or 2 of these for even more cards and efficiency:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788DL6VN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Thanks for your advice but i'm already wainting for 2 hp server 1200w PSU anyway i'll take a look the links. Thnaks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
what's this charge you're talking about? graphics cards can't be charged, there's no battery in a card and if you're talking about caps the charge those can hold is minimal

an inrush current off the spec for the PSUs made too much ripple get to the card and that damaged it, not really rocket science, well, for me at least. the GPU itself is probably fine, in cases like this is memory that gets damaged, that caused windows to hang

Reactions: helper800
what's this charge you're talking about? graphics cards can't be charged, there's no battery in a card and if you're talking about caps the charge those can hold is minimal

an inrush current off the spec for the PSUs made too much ripple get to the card and that damaged it, not really rocket science, well, for me at least. the GPU itself is probably fine, in cases like this is memory that gets damaged, that caused windows to hang
Finally someone who knows more about the electrical subsystems and components. I think he meant windows loading and not charging of gpus.

Feb 26, 2021

sorry i'm not native english speaker when i say charge i mean load of work