Question RX 580 driver problem, temperature jumps by 4 degrees ?

Aug 22, 2023
Hello.
I have a Gigabyte rx 580 4gb graphics card. My problem is that on older versions of official drivers, the video card behaves perfectly, but on newer and latest versions, its temperature and frequency jump. More specifically, every minute the temperature rises by 4 degrees Celsius, and the frequency of the chip rises from 300 to 1300, after which it drops to the standard 300 in idle.

Driver version on which everything works without jumps: adrenalin-2020-20.12.1
Today I installed the latest version of adrenalin-edition-23.8.1, and there are still jumps.

Power supply 600 watts.
Windows 10 system.

I have attached pictures with statistics from MSI Afterburner.

The first and second pictures show the jump, the third picture shows the performance in idle

Let me describe the lines on pictures:
1-GPU Temperature
2-GPU loading
4-GPU core frequency
6-CPU temperature

Perhaps someone has encountered a similar problem and was able to find a solution ?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023
Odd, I am running AMD 23.7.2 and all is normal, checkout the fixes in 23.8.1:
What is your tuning setup ?
I have not overclocked my processor and video card myself, but now I noticed that the processor frequency jumps from 3.575 to 4.250 ghz. Apparently, this is automatically done by the motherboard. The video card definitely did not overclock, because I bought it in a store and did not perform any other settings.

Here are my accessories:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.575 - 4.250ghz Stock Speed.
GPU: GIGABYTE AMD Radeon RX 580 GAMING 4gb VRam.
MB: ASUS PRIME PRIME B450-PLUS.
RAM: 2*8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4 XMP 3200.
PSU: AeroCool VX PLUS 600W.
Storage: SSD 240GB, HDD 500GB.

There is also a topic on the AMD forum, where people with a similar problem write, but no one has yet found a solution to it. Link: https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...g-to-1300mhz-while-idling-every-60/m-p/595868

I can also say that this problem disappears when the display is automatically turned off, which is regulated through the system power settings. That is, after the timer expires, the screen turns off, and all this time, while it is off, the jumps disappear.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
There is this Eco Green thing in Bios, also in Drivers & Registry. I have all my Eco Green in Bios disabled, also disabled HPET & Turbo (300mhz is going to make no difference even in gaming, sitting at 4ghz).
But more importantly, scan registry for "EnableULPS" set it to 0. This allegedly puts only the Second GPU aka SLI/Crossfire setup, to sleep, but may have an effect on the primary too ? Customize your fan curve side in AMD Radeon Tuning and Save it, don't change anything else, the save might re-enable the default on frequency, which seems to be off on your card.

Reactions: Dan0078
Aug 30, 2023
Im having the same issue since 22.10.3 on a GIGABYTE Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX580 8G -- GPU spikes every min

That driver above is stable for me but haven't found any one since that doesn't cause spikes and keeps temps high for no reason. I used DDU every time I install new drivers. This issues happens at default or custom tune. Really not happy its been like this since 10/22/2021 on 22.10.3. BTW I had a gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 atx am3+ motherboard with fx 8350 and different PSU as well and same issues. Upgraded to the 5600x in Dec 2022. Its not the motherboard but drivers. I use Radeon setting for tuning.

But what are you going to do? Id rather have older drivers than have odd spikes in power. Do we really get any optimizations that are helping anyways? IDK but I have seen this issue in other forums as well. Just not too many people have it or seem to notice.

anyone got a 6800xt for sale? Haha wish I didnt know to
And cyberat_88 I was at 4.7GHZ on my fx8350 at 1.34v

RX580 I game at 1435 at 1.135v 2100mhz mem with timing level 1

win10 r5 5600x
570x taichi
16ram
750 watt PSU

Reactions: Dan0078
Aug 22, 2023
Im having the same issue since 22.10.3 on a GIGABYTE Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX580 8G -- GPU spikes every min

That driver above is stable for me but haven't found any one since that doesn't cause spikes and keeps temps high for no reason. I used DDU every time I install new drivers. This issues happens at default or custom tune. Really not happy its been like this since 10/22/2021 on 22.10.3. BTW I had a gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 atx am3+ motherboard with fx 8350 and different PSU as well and same issues. Upgraded to the 5600x in Dec 2022. Its not the motherboard but drivers. I use Radeon setting for tuning.

But what are you going to do? Id rather have older drivers than have odd spikes in power. Do we really get any optimizations that are helping anyways? IDK but I have seen this issue in other forums as well. Just not too many people have it or seem to notice.

anyone got a 6800xt for sale? Haha wish I didnt know to
And cyberat_88 I was at 4.7GHZ on my fx8350 at 1.34v

RX580 I game at 1435 at 1.135v 2100mhz mem with timing level 1

win10 r5 5600x
570x taichi
16ram
750 watt PSU
I solved this problem by installing the driver in the minimum version. This can be selected when installing the driver. Now these jumps do not occur. The minimum version does not include the Adrenalin Edition program, it installs only the video driver. But this program is not as important to me as the stable operation of the video card without strange jumps.

Aug 30, 2023
Yeah I use Radeon settings for some stuff that I need. Like color corrections and some game profiles. Got Starfield kept crashing so I went and got the new drivers and same issue. Spikes 1.150v at 1300mhz.. However ram does not spike. So lame

Starfield plays at 1080 30ish everything low except indirect lighting to med. That's what's causing blurry distant objects
1440 fsr 50% scale same setting same 30ish fps

Back to drivers Ill mess with them more when I get back from vaca. Wish it was working tho. Glad you dont need radeon settings but I do