Rx 580 getting low fps even though it's not supposed to...

shanebanidhu2

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
Hey guys! Hope whoever's reading this is having a great day/night :). Right so, I'm not a computer expert as most of you are. I just play games and that's all I do and know about. Just came here for help. ^^

So, I recently purchased a prebuilt PC due to the fact that I don't know how to build a PC and I don't have any family members who knows much about PC's to even build it so I gathered my money with the help of my mother and bought one which was well within my budget.

The specs of it are:
GPU: RX 580 8Gb Saphire Nitro +
CPU: Intel core i5 7400 3.2Gz - 3.5Ghz
PSU: Corsair 450 Watt
MOBO: Asus prime B250m-A

I'm assuming you won't need more details to help me with my issue!

Since you probably read the topic of this thread, you know what my issue is. The Rx 580 gets low fps on most games. For example, Minecraft, I get 100-200 and far cry 4 I get 20-30 on ultra when benchmarks on YouTube says otherwise..

Does anybody know what to do so it works properly? :(

Solution
Did you connect also the pcie power connector from your psu to the gpu? Make sure the connection is firm. If issue persists, do a clean install of gpu drivers. Use DDU and wipe out any drivers, then reboot and reinstall with the latest. You should not install drivers over previous ones with desktop amds. The fan control with these cards may be trouble and some 3rd party applications may not be able to take control of your gpu fans. Usually MSI Afterburner can override

toshibitsu

Distinguished
100 - 200 for Minecraft? that's actually pretty good. As for Far Cry, that's decent considering the ultra setting and what card you have. It's possible the CPU could be hindering performance. Do you know what your CPU/GPU usage is when you are running these games? Have you done a clean installation of the latest AMD drivers?

shanebanidhu2

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
Hi, Toshi! Thanks for replying! I have seen a gtx 960 paired up with an i5-2400 getting more fps than what I get constantly :(. No, I did not check my CPU and GPU usage, cause I don't know how to. Do you mind telling me how so I can check tomorrow? Yes I have done a clean install, I was so frustrated with this issue that I deleted all the drivers and reinstalled them. I just updated my drivers like an hour ago to 18.1. something something. Thank you for the quick answer btw! :)

Gasaraki, my monitor is a 75hz 1920x1080 resolution with an IPS panel. And the benchmarks I look at are mostly tech deals and sloppywetblow. They make live benchmarks so I presume I can believe it. :)

WildCard, same issue, far cry 4 gets low fps even on medium settings. And it keep stuttering as well. Same with watch dogs 2. :(

shanebanidhu2

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018

Ah, I see! I may be wrong here, but is it that detrimental to the GPU? I mean it's just a 50-watt difference, and If I could check my PSU, CPU and GPU usage, I don't think my my PC is using all that power! (I may be wrong). But nonetheless, thanks for your help, Mr. WildCard! I'll try to see if I can buy a good PSU soon, but that'd be highly unlikely due to the fact that I'm quite poor ^^... Regardless, thanks for your help!

shanebanidhu2

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
Oh, by the way, I'd like to add one more thing!

When I got the PC itself, fresh out of the box, it performed quite decently! In fact, it was getting FPS near some of the benchmarks that the youtuber TechDeals made and sometimes getting more than that! But this is where it all went wrong. I'll try to add all the context and reasoning to my actions so it's easier for everyone reading this to understand!

So, for some reason, I couldn't change my fan speed after I clicked on "Fan tuning" in the AI Suite 3 Application (If anyone could help me with that as well, that'd be fantastic) that came with my computer. I can't ever change it by selecting any presets, nothing. So I thought there was some fault in the BIOS and I looked stuff up in this same forum and my search for a solution was futile. The fan speed was always at this speed -> http://prntscr.com/i4qrji (Btw, I don't know how to use the AI Suite Application, the fan changing thing was the only one that my brain could fully comprehend so I did that!).

So, me being the dumb child I am, I found this box called "Chassis intrusion" and clicked on it thinking it would do something good but it did the exact opposite. The PC didn't boot up, it said "Chassis Intrusion Detected FATAL Error" or something along the lines of that but I can't remember what it said exactly, but don't worry! I fixed it by doing some searching on this forum. The solution was to remove the Motherboard battery and place it back in again and that reset the BIOS configurations to default. And thank god, It did fix it :) ! And after that, the GPU is being quite slow :( I'll explain what happened when I was removing the mobo battery.

To remove and put back the mobo battery, I had to remove the GPU from the PC temporarily due to the fact that the mobo batter was under the GPU cause of the mobo's layout. I did remove the GPU and did everything and placed the GPU back in again perfectly, no issues whatsoever to do that cause there were some Youtube tutorials on doing that so it was relatively simple! But thing is, after my computer booted properly, that's where the GPU started being slow.

I'm sorry everybody, I'm quite stupid, but I hope someone can help me with this issue! :) Have a good day/night whoever's reading this!

Did you connect also the pcie power connector from your psu to the gpu? Make sure the connection is firm. If issue persists, do a clean install of gpu drivers. Use DDU and wipe out any drivers, then reboot and reinstall with the latest. You should not install drivers over previous ones with desktop amds. The fan control with these cards may be trouble and some 3rd party applications may not be able to take control of your gpu fans. Usually MSI Afterburner can override

Solution

TRENDING THREADS