RX 580 No Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jataullah

Reputable
Jan 30, 2019
I built my PC like 1.5 years ago and it has been working well ever since..I recently wanted to do an upgrade so I bought an rx 580 used and a new Psu 600w 80 plus. But after setting up the graphics card and the psu, the monitor shows no signal when I turn it on. However the fans turn on (besides for graphics card fans) and LEDs turn on as well as mouse and keyboard as if it is starting up to start windows screen but the LED over the PCI-e slot of the GPU turns white. But nothing shows up on screen.

Original specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 7500
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 ti gddr5 OC 4gb
RAM: 8gb ddr4 x1
Motherboard: GA-H110m Gaming 3
Psu: EVGA 500w

New Hardware:
GPU: Asus Amd Radeon RX 580 OC 8gb gddr5
Psu: Kolink Core Psu 600w 80 plus

More details:
These are the steps I did in order:
Downloaded DDU, went to safe mode, opened DDU clicked on Nvidia and chose the button that was recommended for GPU upgrade then turned off automatically. Set up the new hardware.
I looked up many threads in the internet and tried many things but none worked. But when I tried to put old GPU back, was working normally. Things I tried included disabiling integrated GPU , updating BIOS, changing ram slot and trying either psu but none worked. Note that I used an HDMI cable.

Edit: The 6 + 2 PCI-e and the HDMI cable is connected to the GPU. For the psu, it says w1 in the P/N. Maybe it's worth mentioning that the GPU fans spin at startup then stop but I think that may be normal since the fans stop spinning under 55 C.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Just to double check, is your monitor definitely plugged into our graphics card outputs, not your motherboard outputs? Did you connect the 8 pin (6+2 pin) PCIe power connector to the graphics card?

As an aside, your new PSU doesn't look like it's really an upgrade from your old one. I don't know which exact EVGA model you had, but if you the W1 model then it's rated for 500 W continuous with 40 Amp on the 12V rail, which is exactly the same as than Kolink.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Could you try clearing the CMOS? You've probably done it already (and I think updating the BIOS would have done it), but maybe try it one more time. Make sure the PC is powered off and unplugged when you do it. I always use the reset CMOS jumper, but I've heard some people recommend doing a "hard" reset by removing the CMOS battery entirely and waiting ~5 minutes.

I'm assuming you're using the same HDMI cable that works fine with your old graphics card?

Does the card have a 2nd HDMI port that you could try? And are you able to try a different kind of connector (e.g. Displayport)?

One final Idea I can think of that would remove all question of possible driver issues is to do a clean windows install. If you don't want to go through the hassle of blowing away your existing installation right away, you should be able to create a 'test' installation by creating a small-ish partition (~40 GB) at the end of one of your drives and creating a 2nd Windows installation there. You could then see if you can get any display if you boot into that Windows installation and install AMD drivers. I'll admit, this is a long shot.

Or you could make a bootable Linux USB and see if you can get a display with that. Probably a little easier than the additional Windows install, just to try to get any sort of display.

jataullah

Reputable
Jan 30, 2019
I tried clearing the CMOS. I am using the same HDMI cable. And yes there are 2 HDMI outputs and I tried both but neither worked. I would like to try a DVI but I do not have that kind of cable.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The PSU doesn't look great, but I don't think it'd be the issue here. Unless it's outright defective I think it ought to still be able to boot up and provide your card with enough power to get a display, and if it was defective I would expect it to have issues with your GTX 1050 too. But just in case, do you still have your previous PSU that you could try?

I forgot to ask something, you can't even get a display from your RX 580 when you're in the BIOS, correct? If that's the case, it wouldn't be a driver issue. So I don't think it's necessary to try reinstalling windows.

Did you buy it through Ebay, or somewhere else that has any sort of buyer protection/return policy? Or would you basically just have to ask the guy and hope he's willing to give you your money back? Did you buy it from someone locally?

jataullah

Reputable
Jan 30, 2019
As said in the post the GPU gave the same result with both psu's and the new psu works fine with the 1050 ti. I bought the Rx 580 from someone locally and I could try to get my money back after making a final check.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@King_V I don't see anything in that thread about it being a fire hazard. I'm guessing people are just assuming it's trash because they don't recognize the brand name. I can't really find any reviews of it, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but I doubt it'd have a problem simply powering on the rig, especially as a brand new unit.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Fair enough - I was more or less summary/editorializing the level of lack of confidence in it that I noticed in the other thread.

jataullah

Reputable
Jan 30, 2019
So I sent it to the repair as a last-resort and they were able to fix it and obviously didn't tell me any details...but he did say that there was a software issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.