[SOLVED] RX 580 Upgrade

advancedmixedgaming

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Before some sales get started tomorrow, I'd like some third-party input on my decisions. I currently own an RX 580 8gb GTS Black Edition GPU with an i5 4690k @ 4.0ghz. I have 2 friends that may buy either my CPU for $100, or my GPU for $150. I am planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600x. I currently play on 1080p @ 70 Hz.
Should I sell my GPU at all and upgrade everything, or should I keep it and only upgrade my CPU?

Solution
Get a 2600 and overclock it and honestly, the GPU upgrade may be pretty needed as well RX 580 will soon go below the 60 FPS sweet spot if you play on only max settings and probably already has gone below in some games you could get an AIB RX 5700 (once they release) but the bigger question is what is making you go to Ryzen?
Get a 2600 and overclock it and honestly, the GPU upgrade may be pretty needed as well RX 580 will soon go below the 60 FPS sweet spot if you play on only max settings and probably already has gone below in some games you could get an AIB RX 5700 (once they release) but the bigger question is what is making you go to Ryzen?

Solution

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Well, I would change only the CPU. Why? I am with R5 2600 + RX 580 8G Gigabyte with a bit of a overclock. I have not yet overclocked the CPU

I currently play Forza Horizon 4 on Ultra with 75 fps all through the game. The card can make more but I have locked it on 75 so I do not get screen tearing. (100% GPU load. 30% - 65% CPU load)
Before that I played shadow of the Tomb Raider - Highest settings ( no pure hair) and the benchmark of the game gave me - 62 fps as average. In game though it is higher especially in the tombs.
Strange brigade also goes above my 75 fps monitor

One advise from me, make sure you update your motherboard bios since in my case before I did this I had much worse GPU performance. Did not know it can affect it but it did. May be just rare case on my end but might give you some improvement.

advancedmixedgaming

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
How much cheaper Ryzen compared to Intel right now is whats making me go Ryzen. The Ryzen 2600x is also $100 off right now so it's looking like a good deal.