Rx 580 vs Rtx 2060? Second thoughts!?

Jan 10, 2019
Hello everyone! This is a revisit on an older post. I'm upgrading my pc and I'm terribly stuck on this gpu business. I've narrowed it down to a Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro+ and a zotac amp rtx 2060. I know the rtx is better but is it $170 better? The 580 is $194 on Amazon right now and seems hard to pass up for the price! Would it be worth getting the 580 and later buying a second one and running crossfire? Or is the rtx 2060 actually the better buy here at $369.99? Thoughts? Thanks!

Solution

even at 1080p RX580 is quite capable. so i assume that you're chasing the deal...
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with a multi-card setup. Many games don't scale well, or encounter other issues, since SLI and Crossfire are often not well supported by game developers. Plus, you would be dealing with a lot more heat and noise.

If you are interested in running a resolution higher than 1080p, or are on a high-refresh rate screen and want to maximize frame rates, you would probably want to go with a single faster card, such as a 2060, which should on average be more than 50% faster than an RX 580.

Supposedly, Nvidia will also be launching a card without the RTX features that will likely perform in between those two cards, probably somewhere around the performance level of a 1070, which might potentially be another option, if priced well below $300. Not much is known about that card, or its exact pricing or performance yet though.

AMD should also be launching a new generation of cards, but those are likely still a number of months away.

I've narrowed it down to a Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro+ and a zotac amp rtx 2060. I know the rtx is better but is it $170 better?

those two live in two different world. you need to look back what kind of performance you really want from your system. 1080p 60FPS? 1080p 144FPS? 1440p 60FPS? 1440p 144FPS? remember when you moving up the performance the value will also decreasing unless there is a some deal making the faster card cheaper.

Would it be worth getting the 580 and later buying a second one and running crossfire?

avoid crossfire. AMD already not that good at supporting such setup in the past now with majority of modern game engine did not work well with the tech used in CF (same case as nvidia SLI) it is even worse.

Jan 10, 2019
Current resolution is 1360 x 768 on an LG 32" tv. With a 24" led samsung monitor (dvi) as second screen. I will probably be using the LG for sometime but do at some point plan to replace both with at least 1080p capable displays. Main games i am playing are modded minecraft, insurgency, insurgency sandstorm, skyrim and some other older games. However I do plan on getting some newer games, Battlefield V, Resident Evil, Farcry etc. So I think the 580 would meet my "needs"s? But I don't want to put myself into a box and regret it down the road. If the rtx 2060 is going to provide what I need for the next few years then that seems like a better solution?

Jan 10, 2019

How happy are you with the performance of your rx 580 nitro+??

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I really like it. That being said, I rarely game these days and if I do they're usually older/less demanding games, so I may not the best person to ask :p

I did recently play Civ VI at 1440p/high settings and framerate seemed good to me (didn't actually measure fps though).

even at 1080p RX580 is quite capable. so i assume that you're chasing the deal on the RX580? if you really into then you might as well pull the trigger. though from what i heard nvidia is about to launching new GPU soon that will address much lower performance (this is most likely cover the performance between 2060 down to 1060 level). this is one of the most recent leak:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-gtx-turing-teased-by-leaked-photograph

the caveat though this "GTX1660Ti" will lack the ray tracing feature which is understandable since even JHH himself said even with RTX 2060 they were thinking a lot how to offer good performance with ray tracing on. not sure if they going to keep the Tensor cores but i think they will. and this was supposed to launch some time next month.

Solution
Jan 10, 2019
Thanks for all the advice! Im gona pull the trigger on the 580. That will meet every need I have and I can't beat the price! A year from now if Nvidia has better options or I can find I sale I can't refuse I'll sell off the 580 and upgrade then. Here is the 580 I'm going to get.

https://m-newegg-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/m.newegg.com/amp/products/N82E16814202280?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16814202280