[SOLVED] RX 590 paired with an i3-9100F, how would they perform ?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I wonder how would they work together, as I plan to pair my spare RX 590 8GB with an i3 9100F since I can get the processor for a very good cheap deal. I also want to consider the "bottleneck" if that's a thing.

Can the i3 9100F fully utilize or draw out the full potential of the RX 590?

Planning to play on 1080P, medium to high settings with 165hz monitor (I wouldn't mind hitting frame rates lower than 165hz , as long as it's smooth enough).

Preferred games: Warzone 2 , Elden ring, Hogwarts legacy and other AAA titles.

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for this, but just to clarify, the RX 590 holds back the i3 9100F and not the other way around? If that's the case, is the i3 9100F too powerful for the RX 590 and I should look for a lower processor to maximize its potential?
Thanks .
No, don't look for a weaker CPU, the CPU you have is fine. You're never going to find a perfect match between a CPU and GPU. My philosophy is to just make sure that both components are "good enough" that you'd be happy with the performance of your PC regardless of whether it's CPU-bound or GPU-bound.

If both are fast enough for your purposes, then it doesn't really matter. If you want the performance of the RX 590, that's what you'll get. All this means is that you could run a faster...

Happyfacebro

Prominent
May 9, 2021
I’m going to assume that cpu will not cause a bottleneck with the rx 590.

If your going for that good deal great but keep in mind for upgrading you might want a 6 core/thread cpu. (The i3-9100F is 4 cores)

I found benchmarks for the rx 590 on Elden ring which it got 55-60fps at 1080p High Settings

I found as well Hogwarts Legacy which was 55-70fps at 1080p High Settings, FSR Quality.

Reactions: Ahazuerus

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I’m going to assume that cpu will not cause a bottleneck with the rx 590.

If your going for that good deal great but keep in mind for upgrading you might want a 6 core/thread cpu. (The i3-9100F is 4 cores)

I found benchmarks for the rx 590 on Elden ring which it got 55-60fps at 1080p High Settings

I found as well Hogwarts Legacy which was 55-70fps at 1080p High Settings, FSR Quality.
Great , thanks for this. What processor would you recommend though, other than the i3 9100F that matches with the rx 590?

Mar 28, 2023
The RX 590 and i3 9100F are capable components, but the overall performance of your system will depend on several factors, such as the specific tasks you are running, the amount of RAM you have, and the quality of your power supply and cooling.

In general, the RX 590 is a mid-range graphics card that should be able to handle most modern games at 1080p resolution with medium to high settings, while the i3 9100F is a budget quad-core processor that can handle basic computing tasks and light gaming. However, in more demanding applications, such as video editing or 3D rendering, the i3 9100F may struggle to keep up with the workload.

To optimize the performance of your system, you may want to consider upgrading to a more powerful processor, such as an i5 or i7, and increasing your RAM capacity. Additionally, make sure your power supply and cooling solutions are sufficient to handle the power demands and heat generated by your components.

The RX 590 is going to be the bottleneck in that system for sure.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, a notoriously CPU-intensive game, should be a worst-case scenario for the i3-9100F. At 1080p, the i3-9100F gets an average of 64FPS (credit to Techspot):
TR-p.webp

While the RX 590, also at 1080p, only gets 60FPS on average (credit to Guru of 3D):
index.php

If the i3-9100F exceeds the FPS performance of the RX 590 in what should be a worst-case CPU-bound scenario, then the RX 590 is the bottleneck. Now, it's a very minor bottleneck but in a less CPU-demanding game, the bottleneck will be larger as the CPU will be able to put out more frames-per-second. This is demonstrated very well in Battlefield V where the i3-9100F gets an average of 116FPS (Credit to Techspot):
BFV-p.webp

While the i3-9100F is capable of 116FPS, the RX 590 will hold the experience at only 79FPS (credit to Guru of 3D):
index.php

To put this into perspective though, if you only have a 1080p60Hz display, both devices will allow an average of above 60FPS in these games and will appear perfect.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
The RX 590 is going to be the bottleneck in that system for sure.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, a notoriously CPU-intensive game, should be a worst-case scenario for the i3-9100F. At 1080p, the i3-9100F gets an average of 64FPS (credit to Techspot):
TR-p.webp

While the RX 590, also at 1080p, only gets 60FPS on average (credit to Guru of 3D):
index.php

If the i3-9100F exceeds the FPS performance of the RX 590 in what should be a worst-case CPU-bound scenario, then the RX 590 is the bottleneck. Now, it's a very minor bottleneck but in a less CPU-demanding game, the bottleneck will be larger as the CPU will be able to put out more frames-per-second. This is demonstrated very well in Battlefield V where the i3-9100F gets an average of 116FPS (Credit to Techspot):
BFV-p.webp

While the i3-9100F is capable of 116FPS, the RX 590 will hold the experience at only 79FPS (credit to Guru of 3D):
index.php

To put this into perspective though, if you only have a 1080p60Hz display, both devices will allow an average of above 60FPS in these games and will appear perfect.
Thanks for this, but just to clarify, the RX 590 holds back the i3 9100F and not the other way around? If that's the case, is the i3 9100F too powerful for the RX 590 and I should look for a lower processor to maximize its potential?
Thanks .

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
The RX 590 and i3 9100F are capable components, but the overall performance of your system will depend on several factors, such as the specific tasks you are running, the amount of RAM you have, and the quality of your power supply and cooling.

In general, the RX 590 is a mid-range graphics card that should be able to handle most modern games at 1080p resolution with medium to high settings, while the i3 9100F is a budget quad-core processor that can handle basic computing tasks and light gaming. However, in more demanding applications, such as video editing or 3D rendering, the i3 9100F may struggle to keep up with the workload.

To optimize the performance of your system, you may want to consider upgrading to a more powerful processor, such as an i5 or i7, and increasing your RAM capacity. Additionally, make sure your power supply and cooling solutions are sufficient to handle the power demands and heat generated by your components.
I see, that's what I thought as well, but this is going to be my end build and will not be planning any future upgrades as this is just a spare pc.

For reference this what I plan to build with it.
i3 9100F
B250
16gb (8x2 2666mhz DDR4)
512GB SSD Kingston
Corsair CV 650W 80+ Bronze
Maybe some RGB fans

Thanks .
No, don't look for a weaker CPU, the CPU you have is fine. You're never going to find a perfect match between a CPU and GPU. My philosophy is to just make sure that both components are "good enough" that you'd be happy with the performance of your PC regardless of whether it's CPU-bound or GPU-bound.

If both are fast enough for your purposes, then it doesn't really matter. If you want the performance of the RX 590, that's what you'll get. All this means is that you could run a faster video card if you wanted to and the CPU wouldn't slow it down, like a GTX 1660 for example.

As long as they're both capable of 60FPS (and they are), you should be just fine.

Solution

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019

If both are fast enough for your purposes, then it doesn't really matter. If you want the performance of the RX 590, that's what you'll get. All this means is that you could run a faster video card if you wanted to and the CPU wouldn't slow it down, like a GTX 1660 for example.

As long as they're both capable of 60FPS (and they are), you should be just fine.
Awesome, thanks!

Reactions: Avro Arrow