Question RX 6500XT underperformance

Mar 30, 2023
Two months ago I bought an AMD rx6500xt graphics card and I was very happy with it, then I got hit by an earthquake and my card got damaged. My fps significantly dropped in every single game I play. I checked the GPU from AMD software Adrenalin edition and I found out that my GPU frequency never goes above 491MHz. I talked with AMD support to solve the issue they made me do a lot of driver installing / uninstalling to fix it, it didn't work so they told me to contact warranty but warranty does not accept it because it is physically damaged. I don't know what to do or what is wrong with my GPU or if it's fixable but chances are you guys do. I would really appreciate any insights on what might be wrong.

Mar 30, 2023
Are there signs of physical damage?

Heat sink could be loose and needs to be re-applied with new thermal compound. If components or anything got knocked off, then it is probably not worth trying to get it fixed.
Hi, only physical damage I can see of is some parts of the IO plate is bent. One corner of the PCB is also slightly bent but there's no other visible damage.

Mar 30, 2023
Still worth removing the cooler and re-doing it. If the card is under physical stress you want to relax it as much as possible.
I know this is a double reply and I don't know how people in this website take it as I am new, so I am sorry if it's annoying. Do you have any idea why my clock frequency never goes above 500MHz?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not particularly.

The frequency is controlled by a few things.
  1. Demand
  2. Driver/Settings
  3. Power
  4. Temperature

4) On that last one, if the heatsink got dislodged or moved around, the thermal paste may no longer be in good contact. So the temperatures could be high.

3) Power, if the motherboard is now damaged, it may not be getting enough power through the slot to run properly. Power supply is probably okay if the computer is turning on.

2) Doesn't sound like anything on the software side of things could be the cause, but you can try re-installing the drivers.

1) The clock frequency will stay low if you don't give the GPU something to do.

Reactions: Avro Arrow