Question RX 6600 fans ramping up to 7000 rpm while playing

Aug 25, 2024
Hi, I've been having this problem for about the last two months.
When I'm playing GPU demanding games (RDR2, CS2, Zelda TOTK on yuzu) my GPU fan speed stays at 2600-2800 rpm. The problem is, randomly (like 10 minutes after starting the game) my GPU fans spikes up to 6800-7200 rpm, making a lot of noise and at the same time, the temperatures start to rise progressively up to 85°C in some games.

When this happens, my hotspot temperatures aren't very high (even at 80°C) and from what I've seen, it tends to occur more in games that push my GPU over 70°C. It never happens in idle. My GPU is barely a year old, so I'm considering repasting, but not sure if that's the problem.

I've tried controlling the fans in Radeon software and MSI AB, but it seems the issue bypasses it. One curious thing is that before the issue occurs, MSI Afterburner shows my GPU fan speed at 100% as approximately 3200 RPM. However, after the spikes happen, 100% fan speed reads around 7000 RPM, and 3200 RPM corresponds to roughly 47% fan speed.

I'd really appreciate any help ;)

NXYiQwd.png

100% fan speed reads around 7000 RPM
i don't believe there is any fan available that runs at these speeds.
there may be a malfunction with the sensor or some problem with the software.
the fact that temperatures rise while this is reporting further verifies that something is amiss.
if a GPU was actually running fans ~7000rpm the temp should drop drastically with sufficient cool air intake & warm air exhaust in the system.

have you tried manually running the fans at 100% and verifying that the same sound occurs and speeds report the same?

Aug 25, 2024
have you tried manually running the fans at 100% and verifying that the same sound occurs and speeds report the same?
Yes, when I do this in MSI AB after this event occurs, HWinfo64 reports fan speed of about 7000rpm and it still makes a lot of noise. However, when I do it with when my Windows has just started, my fan speed barely reaches 3100 rpm without noise.

Aug 25, 2024
i would try running DDU in Safe Mode and removing all data
then reinstall the latest available driver package directly from AMD.
I've already tried that, DDU and reinstalling the latest drivers via AMD software, unfortunately it didn't work. I've even thought of installing older drivers.