[SOLVED] RX 6700 clock speed dropping/spiking down, horrifying FPS

lithgow.ash

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
I've recently bought the rx 6700 xt, worked fine. However, im not sure when exactly but recently i noticed on higher end titles where it wouldn't completely max out fps (like CS:GO), the fps drops would be CRAZY and completely unplayable (very frequently it would drop close to zero). I then proceeded to update ALL my drivers, from cpu, motherboard to the gpu. The fps slightly improved but still generally had crazy bad fps drops. I started looking into hwinfo and msi afterburner and finally noticed that my gpu usage AND core clock frequency would both drop very frequently while in game. This DIRECTLY correlated to the occurrence of fps drops, moreover the core clock speeds where spiking down to UNDER 70mhz! on almost EVERY spike (the spikes where occuring every second or 2).
Key info:
- driver updates on all my hardware
- no overclocks
- tried different games and occurred in every game
- CPU and GPU usage in fortnite is 45% and 40% respectively, with maxing out 165fps on medium (apart from fps drops reaching 1 FPS)
- GPU temps are stable under 50C in fortnite, does not even reach 65C
- 16GB ddr4 Memory
- plenty of storage space
- bought fairly recently as well a new corsair 750W 80+ GOLD certified psu

https://ibb.co/hFXMj5P, in that image you can see the spikes in the 3rd graph of the core clocks which tank the fps to almost none.
Thats all i can think of, any help or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Solution
Is there a way I can test/measure this? And what minimum upgrade would you recommend for the CPU?

You dont need to test it. I personally had the r5 2600. I had big fps drops in games like Apex Legends, and Rust while paired with my 2060 super OC edition.

The cpu is fine. The gpu is just more powerful than the cpu.

The cpu controls the low end of your fps, known as 1% and 0.1% lows.

The gpu controls the max fps.

The cpu feeds frames to the gpu, the gpu can only output as many frames as the cpu gives it as mentioned in a above comment. Its your classic bottleneck. Need to upgrade the cpu. the 3700x would be what you would want, at minimum to have a stable 144fps + in most titles. Even then, games like RDR2, arguably not...
Sorry for late reply.
Am currently using an Asus b350-f motherboard that has been fixed by Asus previously. And paired with that, i am using an r5 2600 none Overclocked.

A GPU cannot output any more frames than the amount of frames it recieved from the CPU. If a CPU is overwhelmed with draw calls and is unable to pre-render frames as consistently as your GPU can finish rendering them, you will drop frames and get stuttering.

A Ryzen R5 2600 is a good all-around gaming CPU, but it is NOT a good high-refresh rate gaming CPU. It has a very low max boost clock (3.9 GHz) and is generally weak on single-core performance. Your overall CPU usage might be only 45%, but that is an average CPU usage across all cores. It only takes one maxed out core to bottleneck your powerful GPU.

lithgow.ash

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
A GPU cannot output any more frames than the amount of frames it recieved from the CPU. If a CPU is overwhelmed with draw calls and is unable to pre-render frames as consistently as your GPU can finish rendering them, you will drop frames and get stuttering.

A Ryzen R5 2600 is a good all-around gaming CPU, but it is NOT a good high-refresh rate gaming CPU. It has a very low max boost clock (3.9 GHz) and is generally weak on single-core performance. Your overall CPU usage might be only 45%, but that is an average CPU usage across all cores. It only takes one maxed out core to bottleneck your powerful GPU.
Is there a way I can test/measure this? And what minimum upgrade would you recommend for the CPU?

You dont need to test it. I personally had the r5 2600. I had big fps drops in games like Apex Legends, and Rust while paired with my 2060 super OC edition.

The cpu is fine. The gpu is just more powerful than the cpu.

The cpu controls the low end of your fps, known as 1% and 0.1% lows.

The gpu controls the max fps.

The cpu feeds frames to the gpu, the gpu can only output as many frames as the cpu gives it as mentioned in a above comment. Its your classic bottleneck. Need to upgrade the cpu. the 3700x would be what you would want, at minimum to have a stable 144fps + in most titles. Even then, games like RDR2, arguably not very well optimized, will still want more power to run over 100fps stable on high graphics.

Last edited:
Solution