Question RX 6800 Nitro+ stuttering in every game ?

Nov 19, 2022
I upgraded to this gpu yesterday from a GTX 970, together with a new psu (seasonic focus gx 750) and to my surprise I'm stuttering like hell in every game I tried, worst one being bf 2042 it's unplayable. Getting even lower fps than on the 970 and the textures take long time to load, when I first start a game my gun takes 10-20 secs to show up.

I used DDU to delete everything from Nvidia before installing the AMD drivers.

I've verified the gpu usage and it's all over the place up and down constantly between 40-80%, my cpu is a 4770k, yes I know the bottleneck would be there but still. Something must be wrong.

Just now I uninstalled the drivers to try the minimum install option as suggested somewhere and did a factory reset through the amd install setup and on restart, since the motherboard logo on boot up, the screen was all glitched and pixelated with green colour and kept like that until the setup finished the drivers installation then it started blinking many times on black screen then it finally displayed properly with no green glitches anymore, it was kinda scary. I thought the gpu was damaged some way.

This didn't happen yesterday when I installed the drivers the first time, very weird.

Still didn't fix anything though.

Any tips ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
my cpu is a 4770k, yes I know the bottleneck would be there but still.
I think you actually have your answer.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

If the Seasonic unit mentioned above was purchased alongside the discrete GPU, I wish you got a higher wattage unit, something along the lines of an 850W unit, that's reliably built(like Seasonic).

I used DDU to delete everything from Nvidia before installing the AMD drivers.
You're advised to remove all remnants of GPU drivers.

Nov 19, 2022
CPU: i7 4770k 4.4 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 G1 Sniper
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1600mhz DDR3
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500
GPU: Sapphire RX 6800 Nitro+
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750w
Bios: latest one, F8

Why though ?
850 is way overkill to my system IMO, only the nitro+ requires a 750w out of the rx 6800 models for some reason, that's why I went for it, otherwise 650w would be fine as per recommendation of guru3d and other manufacturers.

Nov 19, 2022
Ok, I just opened BF 2042 to play a match I didn't touch any settings, just came back from lunch and the stuttering stopped 90%, it's much smoother and the textures are loading immediately, the gpu usage is still all over the place. wth is happening

CPU: i7 4770k 4.4 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 G1 Sniper
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1600mhz DDR3
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500
GPU: Sapphire RX 6800 Nitro+
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750w
Bios: latest one, F8

Why though ?
850 is way overkill to my system IMO, only the nitro+ requires a 750w out of the rx 6800 models for some reason, that's why I went for it, otherwise 650w would be fine as per recommendation of guru3d and other manufacturers.
psu should be okay, 750watt recommended for transient spikes, youll be getting shutdowns/reboots with weak psu

bf 2042 kinda needs 8core cpu btw or atleast 6core/12threads minimum

Nov 19, 2022
But the fact that the stuttering fixed by itself is weird.

I'm gonna try the other games to see if there's any difference.

I guess I can upsample the resolution to push for the gpu and ease the cpu.

CPU imo. Once back in the days of the old athlon x2 cpus I wanted to play battlefield bad company and upgraded to a gts 450 gpu at the time. My system started stuttering really bad. Once I updated to an athlon x4 cpu it fixed it.

Sounds about like your situation is similar.

Nov 19, 2022
I can't upgrade the cpu at this moment and that forces me to buy a new setup.

My fix to the bottleneck is to use Virtual Super Resolution and upscale the games to 4k. I'm getting more or less the same fps, no stuttering and the gpu is being used 98-99%.

Nov 19, 2022
I could try underclocking but that doesn't make much sense having to do that to a factory oc. He said he had stutters but his GPU usage was fine so maybe a different issue.
There was a few times where the games were choppy as hell plus the stuttering from low GPU usage. Like moving the mouse around felt like 20 fps. Alt tabbing fixed it. Some weird bugs on AMD.

Nonetheless I will try to undervolt because yesterday I checked the temperatures and it was 91°c hotspot and the fans were like 20%. Had to manually set the fans to 50%, looks like it prioritizes low noise.

Nov 19, 2022
Is it still cpu bottleneck if even at 720p is basically the same fps as upscale to 4k ?

I'm playing warzone 2 and I only get on average 70fps with tweaked settings.

I tried 720p, 1080p (native), upscale 2k and 4k and it's more or less the same.