Question Rx 6950 xt and hotspot temp, what is normal? Is it something wrong with the card?

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

I need to ask about my new grapic card, never had amd before and the temp start to worries me. It is a XFX rx 6950 xt.

I have used this card for a few days now and it use to be around 79-82-83c hottest spot messured, and not over 65c edge temp, that should be just fine, but until yesterday while playing rdr2 i suddently noticed the amd overlay showed 92c for a few seconds before it went back to low 80s again.

When i watched the 92c number for the short time i was worried it could be something wrong, im used to play with nvidia and have like 65c c temp but they say nvidia only messure with one sensor and that is not the hottest spot possible?

Anyway someone claim that this card can be safe to use up to 110c before it start taking damage, and some claim that even 92c hotspot just here and there for seconds is too hot and would cause it to have less lifespan.

I would like to clear things up about the card if it is normal the way it behave for me or if it would cause issues later on.

Havent changed anything in amd adrenalin, have the fans on standard , could set it to aggressive but wont that make significant less lifespan on the fans to constantly run fast while i play?

Would like to hear what your opinion is about this temps and what is normal/bad over time or not :)

FULL PC specs please ? How is the airflow inside your ATX cabinet ? How many exhaust/rear/front fans are installed ?

All RX 6000 series GPU cards have a Maximum operating/junction Temperature of 110c. So if any of the GPU Hot Spots is reaching 112c that indicates that the GPU is probably throttling, but you are safe.

Nothing to worry much about, as you are below the temp's threshold limit. If the temp increases beyond the max limit, then the GPU will throttle down to use less power to force the temperature back to normal, below 110c.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellerman88

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
FULL PC specs please ? How is the airflow inside your ATX cabinet ? How many exhaust/rear/front fans are installed ?

All RX 6000 series GPU cards have a Maximum operating/junction Temperature of 110c. So if any of the GPU Hot Spots is reaching 112c that indicates that the GPU is probably throttling, but you are safe.

Nothing to worry much about, as you are below the temp's threshold limit. If the temp increases beyond the max limit, then the GPU will throttle down to use less power to force the temperature back to normal, below 110c.
it just sounds so much that the card can handle 110c, but it’s the fact, so then nothing to worry about as you say. People have different opinion and mention it cant handle that and lifespan get lowered even at 90c.

92c peak for just seconds until fan speed auto adjust up is not much considering safest max temp is 110c, hotspot temp is 79-80c in the average max temp in hwinfo after a couple hours gameplay in 4K ultra.

Peaking of 92c that got me to worry and made me want to ask about it. Since im used to nvidia cards that use to run like 65c but who knows where they messure it vs amd. Didnt remember i had a hotspot sensor there.

Pc having a Phanteks g360a cabinet, 3 fans in the front and two fans in the top under the aio radiator, i5 13500, cpu hit only 55-60c under ultra gameplay, motherboard 29-30c, idle on cpu only 25c so things is cooling good, but the numbers with the amd just sound high on an electrical unit but i understand now that they are build to handle 110c, so one dont need to worry about lifespan etc before getting close to 110. Even someone told me the opposite and 92c would make lifespan shorter, just wanted to confirm that my card dosnt have a issue :)

Last edited:
AMD actually claims these temp values are normal, and there is nothing to worry about. So maybe we can trust them with this ? :rolleyes:

The RX 6000 cards have several thermal sensors throughout the GPU card. There are two temperature readings for the GPU card.

One is for the general temperature of the GPU card, while the other is the Hot Spot (Junction Temp) temperature. So as long as the temperature never reaches 110c your are fine. But it is best to try and keep the hot spot value as low as possible.

If you would like to reduce temperatures even further, then you can do one of these:
  • Increase the fan speed
  • Lower the GPU power limit
  • Undervolt the GPU using either the Auto Undervolt option, or try it yourself in small increments
  • Improve case airflow, ensure that the heat left in the case by the GPU is exhausted out the rear/top of the chassis

Reactions: Kellerman88