Question Rx 7700xt for 1440p or 1080p gaming?

pain_86

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016
Hello! I'll be building a new budget PC soon and i need an advice. I chose rx 7700xt gpu and i wonder what monitor to buy for it - 1440p or 1080p. I know that it is specified for 1440p gaming, but i read mixed opinions about it , that if i get 1440p monitor i have to turn down settings like play on medium-high and that the card is more suitable for 1080p ultra gaming. I can't decide. The build will be future proof, i change PC in around 5 years.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I know, but there is a 100$ price gap between 7700 and rx 7800xt in my country and it's out of my budget...
Then your not giving enough information about the build you might be able to save somewhere.
AND NO A 7700XT IS NOT A CARD FOR 2K to last for 5 years it will struggle with some games now and is nothing near the illusion of futureproof!
5 Years is not really even realistic for a video card. Usually you build a gaming PC you can expect to need a video card upgrade in about 3 years.

Your going to be better off stating the budget, where you can buy parts, and what all you need to buy with the budget!!!!!!!!!

build will be future proof, i change PC in around 5 years.
many games will only get more demanding over that time.

the RX 7700 XT is already lacking somewhat with 1440p and higher in-game settings, so it will only get worse as time goes with even more demanding titles.

i would definitely be looking into saving up a bit more money towards your budget and getting something more powerful.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
At what frame rate is a 1440 card deemed adequate? Id say that starts from 60fps no? I agree down the track, 5yrs or more pretty much every card on the market right now is going to be challenged in some games. Buy something you can afford, if that's 7700xt then I don't see a problem with it for 1440p. Just gotta set graphics appropriately.

Bare in mind as well, every review site tests cards at highest to ultra quality, the common thing with these presets is anti aliasing, regardless of strength, it's still used. IMO AA is not needed in 1440p at 27", you won't know from any references the exact fps numbers gained not having it on, albeit there be an increase.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
the whole issue is up to the user and what requirements he has and basically how much money he can give, so many of you here don't push people to buy something more expensive for no reason.the 7700xt is a good card, I have 2 desktop, one with a 6700xt oc and the other with a 6800, and the 6700xt oc stands up well and is very close to the other, the same applies to the 7000 series