Question RX 7900 GRE - - - Huge delta temp and hotspot 111C ?

Sep 14, 2024
I built my first PC 1.5 months ago (see below)

Things looked pretty good at the start. Until I started to notice that under load while gaming Space marine 2 and Diablo 4 My GPU temp was 42C-44C and the hotspot temp was 88C to 96C. I was a little concerned about the hotspot temp but in reading through forums I was seeing that this is within spec. With some more reading I found out about Temperature Delta (the difference between GPU edge temp and hotspot temp). I also ran a couple benchmarks and noticed my GPU temp stayed around 42-44C but the Hotspot temp hit 108C-111C during the benchmark.

At this point I am worried that something is wrong as I have a 50C+ Delta and am hitting/ exceeding the temp recommended as safe by AMD. I am hoping for some insight from people who know more than me about this and can suggest how I should go about dealing with it. I purchased the warranty from the store I got the card from (Memory Express) so I can take it in and let them test it. My worry is that they are going to tell me that the temps are within spec and try to send me on my way. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

MBD: MSI B650 Gaming Plus WiFi
GPU: Gigabyte OC RX 7900 GRE
CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident 6000
SSD: Samsung 990 Pro
AIO: Coolermaster 360
Case: Lian Li 216
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 850w

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 14, 2024
Sounds to me like it may be the air flow in your case. Try setting your case fans to maximum during your tests/usage and see if there is any change to your hot spot temps.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am not worried about an airflow issue as the edge temperature is 44C under full load and I have my fan curves all set to max when gaming in a lian li 216 which has notoriously good case airflow. I have sent the card in to be looked at and will see what their response is about the large difference between gpu edge temp and hotspot temp. It seems people on Reddit consider this to be an indication of a poorly seated cooler on the GPU itself. Hoping this will be recognized by the shop i purchased it from and I get a replacement.

Sep 14, 2024
Bad heatsink with poor thermal placement.
When you have bad air flow all components on your case will have bad thermals.
Better change the card for another brand or try a new one to see.
Thank you for your response. As long as the guy at Memory express who is testing my card right now agrees that these numbers are unacceptable then ill be getting a new one. Unfortunately I think I am stuck with this brand and model of card based on the wording of my warranty, but we will see what they say. I just hope they don't tell me 50c Delta between edge temp and hotspot temp is normal. I am not sure what id be able to do at that point.