Question RX 7900 XTX or RTX 4080 For Rendering 8K

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I currently use a Ryzen 7950X system with 128GB of DDR5 for Adobe Premiere Pro 8K video rendering. My current graphics card is a RTX 3070. I'm wondering if upgrading the gpu to the new ones mentioned above, would help speed up exporting for 8k video? They want $1800 for the 4080 and that's just a bit too high in price. The 7900 XTX should be 500 bucks cheaper I'm expecting. But I also heard that Nvidia is the way to go for video rendering and also Photoshop processing.

So for video rendering, is AMD just as good, or should I just stick with Nvidia cards? Also with what I currently have, is it even worth to upgrade at all?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
When it is not about gaming gaming but for productivity stuff, the Nvidia card are usually quite a lot ahead of AMD. I would only go with AMD if you want to play games and you don't care for Raytracing. The AMD cards usually do very well with pure rasterization, especially in DX11, Vulkan. But if you want to render you probably better off with Nvidia. Wait for tomorrow and check out IGORSLABS reviews on both the RTX 4080 and the RX 7900XTX (the written reviews on the website are also available in english, youtube is just german). He usually has a detailed section for the productivity aspects of the cards. Based on rumors and leaks I think it will go the following:

RX 7900 XTX is for people: who want faster rasterization in game, but don't care for raytracing or DLSS,
RTX4080 is for people: who don't mind having slightly slower rasterization, but care a lot for Raytracing and like to have all the DLSS stuff. Also better for productivity (as long as the 8 GB less VRAM will not limit you).

So, basically, you pay more for the RTX 4080, but you probably get a better allrounder with all the future bells and whistles, but if you a gamer only and raytracing is not really important for you the RX7900XTX will be absolutely fine too. But for productivity I would go for the 4080.

All this doesn't take pricing in consideration, since we have no idea what availability and retail pricing will be for the RX 7900 XTX.....my guess it will retail in average for at least $1200 und will be hard to get right in the beginning. The XT should be easier to get. But we will see tomorrow....

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
With the 4080, will I notice much difference from my 3070 for rendering?

Here are the workstation and rendering numbers from Igorslab:

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So with the results out there now on the AMD card, is it still recommended to go with the Nvidia card for my 8K rendering?

My old card is off to the warranty center, as it wasn't working last install. I am now trying to render a 1 hour 8K video without a real graphics card. Im using the on cpu graphics output. In Adobe Premiere Pro, I selected "software" encoding instead of "hardware". Its now taking 107 hours to encode the 8K video. Should I have selected "hardware" instead to speed things up? I dont even think the onboard graphics on the cpu can even work with 8K??

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I stopped the 8K video encoding on my computer, when the time kept going up a couple hours more to render every few minutes. I am now trying to encode with the cpu graphics. Lets see if that Ryzen 7950X can actually do this better or not.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
This might not be the answer to your original question, but I have long switched from Premier Pro to Davinci Resolve. I find the Blackmagic software more intuitive and also much better optimised for GPU use.