Question Rx Vega 56 is doing weird things ?

Blobwingz

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
Hello, I have this issue on my MSI Rx Vega 56 Airboost where it will just black screen at random times and when I hard reboot it, it will still black screen and since this GPU has a feature called "Gputach" where there's light on the pcie power connector. There will be no lights lighting up when it's does the issue.

Btw the PC boots fine it's just the GPU like sitting there doing nothing just heating up. Also tried putting it on a different computer with an Ryzen 5 5600G same problem. The weird thing is that this will happen like In weeks like it will work in a week then it will not. Idk what's causing it

My PC specs:
-Gigabyte A320M S2h v2
-Ryzen 3 4350g
-Msi Rx Vega 56 Airboost
-Corsair Cv 650w

Blobwingz

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
I bought that Corsair in around 2021

And the specs of the Ryzen 5 5600G is
-Ryzen 5 5600g
-Asrock B450M steel legend
-Antec Atom G 650w 80+ Gold
-Same GPU (both PC's have Vega 56's)
This PC is around 2022

Blobwingz

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
ok update
i've tried to install the gpu but still black screen BUT when i install it with the pc lying down flat it works for some reason, Did it twice now soo i guess that's the solution to make it work again???

i'm confused now

I had a Vega 64 that did this on multiple systems, I ended up getting rid of the card for cheap as I didn't want to mess with it anymore. I would try older drivers and see if it does the same thing, could be a driver issue. I would first DDU the current drivers and then install the old ones and see if that works.

You can also try to undervolt the card and see, or you can try using MSI afterburner and in the settings should be a setting called Force Constant Voltage so the GPU shouldn't use its power saving feature, should still down clock but wont let the voltage drop, it'll idle a little hotter and consume a little more power at idle but maybe fix the blackscreen.

Good Luck!

ok update
i've tried to install the gpu but still black screen BUT when i install it with the pc lying down flat it works for some reason, Did it twice now soo i guess that's the solution to make it work again???

i'm confused now
Could be a cracked thermal paste issue.

Those old hbm chips had a problem with being different heights. It made contact with the cool plate problematic because the matching surface was uneven.

Repaste might help.

Blobwingz

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
Could be a cracked thermal paste issue.

Those old hbm chips had a problem with being different heights. It made contact with the cool plate problematic because the matching surface was uneven.

Repaste might help.
Hello update again

it stopped working again idk what to do now i will try to repaste it but i do know that repasting this is quite dangerous due to the interposer that can killed the thing by just touching that interposer
if it still did not work i'm just stumped at this point