RX Vega 64 Liquid Frame Drops

nathandev

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hi, I recently purchased a Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid edition, and I've been having some troubles with it. I'm not sure if this a driver thing or a power cap, but here we go.

Recently for a class I had to record a video and upload it to YouTube. This video was no bigger than 190Mb, and it was recorded in 1920x1080. Thing is, when I tried to open the video on my computer, both of my monitors dropped down to less than one frame per second. My mouse would only move on each frame change as well. This video wasn't all that big, and my gpu load never hit 100% (I had CAM running on one monitor) My processor didn't reach max load either, but performance dropped to next to zero frames per second.

Another thing that I noticed, and this may be completely unrelated, but when I was playing Black Ops 3 Zombies, I would occasionally skip a frame. Now my frame rate never dropped below 60, even if I looked just as a frame was skipped, but it still happened occasionally. I'm not sure if it matters but it was on Ascension. (It wasn't thermal throttling, my card only reached about 50c.)

If anyone knows what's going on, I would really appreciate some help!

UPDATE: Performance drops when I first click on a YouTube video, But after a few seconds I Re-gain full control again.

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vy6bJV

GPU: Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Edition

CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4.00Ghz (Overclocked to 5.5 with liquid cooling)

RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1866

Storage: All games and programs are on Samsung EVO 850s (2x500Gb) but the video was on a WD Blue 1TB

MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard

PSU: EVGA 80+ Gold 750W

Monitors: Asus 4k Monitor And Asus 1080 Monitor

Solution
I have solved the problem. The reason for the frame and performance drop was the current AMD drivers. After reverting back to older drivers the problem was solved, now just to wait for new drivers again.

nathandev

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
UPDATE: Returning my processor to the default voltage and clock speed fixed the problem, but this wasn't due to an unstable overclock. I have done many benchmarks to prove that the clock speed was stable. So could this be due to the fact that 750w is not enough for this power hungry card? I would like to return to my 5.5Ghz, but if that will not work with this video card than so be it I guess.

nathandev

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
UPDATE TWO: I overclocked my CPU back to 5.5Ghz, and the problem is still not present. Maybe all that was needed was a full restart, but then again, this problem may occur again. I am not going to mark this as solved because I would like to know a little more about the situation before doing so.

Simple question, what media player do you use?
For many years I just used "windows media player", it was fine until I started watching videos in 1080 @ 60fps, often they didn't play smooth or would drop down to like 1 fps. I now use "VLC media player" and it's great. Maybe something else is happening with you, but trying a different media player would be a good place to start.

nathandev

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

I do believe that I am using the default video playback software that comes with Win 10. It isn't just the video that drops to low frames though, its both monitors, and all applications running. (Along with my mouse movement.)

I will take the suggestion and try using another video playback software, but as for right now the windows 10 software seems to be working. (at least for now, the problem may come back due to some currently unknown factor)

Thanks for the response!

nathandev

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Update 3: I tried running the video just to test after writing my previous response. My computer didn't drop frames, but after about two seconds of the video playing both of my monitors went completely white, and I had no control of anything. (COMPLETELY white, no text or mouse icon at all)

Currently running sfc/scannow in Admin command prompt

No security violations found after scan noted above^

nathandev

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I have solved the problem. The reason for the frame and performance drop was the current AMD drivers. After reverting back to older drivers the problem was solved, now just to wait for new drivers again.

Solution

rich1051414

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Did you make the fan speeds more aggressive when you overclocked the CPU? This may increase the airflow and prevent your GPU from overheating.

The only way I can duplicate your issue is by dropping the fan speed too far and letting the card thermally throttle.