[SOLVED] RX460 - No display, No boot, no heat on chip ?

Jul 8, 2021
I just got a second-hand Gigabyte RX 460 WF 2GB GPU and I can't get any display, no boot, fans are not spinning and there is no heat on the chip. I don't know about the hardware stuff so if you guys can help me I'll be really thankful.

-Sorry for the grammatical mistakes. I'm an English learner :)

Solution
I tested the GPU before I buy. I get it from someone I know. The condition shocked him as much as it shocked me. We are trying to figure out why it happened
High Power 750W Astro Elite PSU

PSU is one option what might have happened.

Your PSU, while it reviewed well,
link: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/high-power-agd-750/

It did came out in 2013. That's quite an old platform, 8 years old as of today. It is possible, that your PSU sent too much (or too little) voltage to your GPU, frying it. And PSU only came with 5 years of warranty. With this, your PSU is long past it's "service life".

Though, for conclusive testing, put RX 460 into 2nd PC and look if you get any video signal there. If you don't, it's safe...
Jul 8, 2021
Since the GPU is used, there is no guarantee that it has to work.

Best course of action: return the GPU and get your money back.

Lesson for the future: test the hardware and confirm it working, before buying anything used.
Or if you want a guarantee of hardware working, buy a brand new hardware.

Hello, thanks for your answer. I tested the GPU before I buy. I get it from someone I know. The condition shocked him as much as it shocked me. We are trying to figure out why it happened :)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021
What graphics was your computer using before you installed this card?
Do you need to switch from onboard graphics to discrete graphics in the BIOS?

I used one of the AMD HD5500 series card and before that I was using RX590. So I'm 100% sure the problem caused by GPU.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021
Full system specs including make and model of power supply?

Monitor plugged into the GPU not motherboard right?

Everything I remember:

AMD RYZEN 2700X
MSI B450I Gaming AC
HyperX Predator 16GB 3200mhz RAM (RGB version)
Samsung 970 EVO 256GB SSD
Toshiba 2TB HDD

Last edited:
I built it myself. I'm using this PC for 2 years without any isssues.
Your motherboard has EZ Debug LED's. Do they light up when you boot?

debug.png.cdb22214d2e71ab028ccffa21eb9d7c2.png

Jul 8, 2021
Your graphics card does not seem to be getting any power. Did you check for any dirt on the GPU's electrical connectors or try cleaning them?

No actually. Gpus chip also not heating. I think I'm gonna need a multimeter to check what's working or not. Do think there is something wrong with the chip ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I tested the GPU before I buy. I get it from someone I know. The condition shocked him as much as it shocked me. We are trying to figure out why it happened

PSU is one option what might have happened.

Your PSU, while it reviewed well,
link: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/high-power-agd-750/

It did came out in 2013. That's quite an old platform, 8 years old as of today. It is possible, that your PSU sent too much (or too little) voltage to your GPU, frying it. And PSU only came with 5 years of warranty. With this, your PSU is long past it's "service life".

Though, for conclusive testing, put RX 460 into 2nd PC and look if you get any video signal there. If you don't, it's safe to assume that GPU is toast.

You may try all 3 video output ports as well. Since sometimes, when HDMI or DisplayPort doesn't want to show a pic, you could get some life out of DVI.

Solution