[SOLVED] RX480 artifacting ocasionaly

Jan 10, 2020
Recently built myself a new PC. Because of budget constrains i've bought a second hand RX480. The seller wasn't 100% clear but i'm pretty sure the card was mined on. I cleaned up the card and replaced the thermal paste and everything works fine except that i get artifacting when i'm watching youtube or am in a cutscene. Disabeling hardware acceleration in the browser fixed the issue on youtube and using the generic driver from microsoft resolved the problem altogether. Any suggestions how to fix this or should i just get used to it?

Solution
Using linux and the mesa drivers has solved the issue all together so i'm guessing it's just AMD's shitty drivers that are causing the artefacting.
using the generic driver from microsoft resolved the problem altogether
Generic windows driver makes the card running at lower clocks, with lower power draw and in general just and barely working. The manufacturer drivers make the GPU run as it's supposed to be.

You have a defective card. Artifacts, lines, discoloration etc are signs of a dying GPU. You can confirm this by underclocking the GPU which is what the generic windows drivers did.

Jan 10, 2020
Generic windows driver makes the card running at lower clocks, with lower power draw and in general just and barely working. The manufacturer drivers make the GPU run as it's supposed to be.

You have a defective card. Artifacts, lines, discoloration etc are signs of a dying GPU. You can confirm this by underclocking the GPU which is what the generic windows drivers did.

I have the card already running underclocked and undervolted and it makes no difference. Just to be sure i downclocked the card to 300Mhz and no it's still the same thing. But like i said it's only really happening in videos and nothing else. It's just weird.

Nope. Got it from a craigslist type of deal. No chance of returing it
Might it have been used for mining? (Read back...it was!) In which case They may have changed the BIOS to a mining BIOS that is optimized for GPU compute with no attention to 3D rendering, trashing it in the process. If so changing back to a correct production BIOS might help.

Not much to lose if it's a craigslist deal. Check on techpowerup.com for the how-to's, burning software, and BIOS files for your board.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
Might it have been used for mining? (Read back...it was!) In which case They may have changed the BIOS to a mining BIOS that is optimized for GPU compute with no attention to 3D rendering, trashing it in the process. If so changing back to a correct production BIOS might help.

Not much to lose if it's a craigslist deal. Check on techpowerup.com for the how-to's, burning software, and BIOS files for your board.

I did play around with that a bit. Didn't check every bios but i tried a few. I might just try every compatible bios this time around and see how it goes.

I did play around with that a bit. Didn't check every bios but i tried a few. I might just try every compatible bios this time around and see how it goes.

I'd try to find the board mfr's production BIOS since they will set up things like memory timing parameters to match the specific memory used on the board. That's not something you can easily change, at least none of the overclocking software I know of has settings for it.

You can ask around in the TPU forums or the forums on guru3d.com if TPU doesn't have one in their BIOS selection.

BTW...what mfr. and model is it?

I believe it's safe to say that if it won't work with the mfr's production BIOS then it was cooked by it's mining use.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
I'd try to find the board mfr's production BIOS since they will set up things like memory timing parameters to match the specific memory used on the board. That's not something you can easily change, at least none of the overclocking software I know of has settings for it.

You can ask around in the TPU forums or the forums on guru3d.com if TPU doesn't have one in their BIOS selection.

BTW...what mfr. and model is it?

I believe it's safe to say that if it won't work with the mfr's production BIOS then it was cooked by it's mining use.

It's the sapphire nitro+ 8Gb. Will go look for the bios right now

Jan 10, 2020

The Reference might work since that's usually something pretty safe, but I'd start out with one of the non-OC BIOS's first.
Nope. None of those work. Even tried some of the 4Gb bioses couse you never know. Might have messed up something there couse now the card is showing no signal but that can be fixed with the bios switch thankfuly. Second bios doesn't seem to have the same problem but it also doesn't get recognised by the driver so I'm gonna DDU and see if that gets me anywhere.

Nope. None of those work. Even tried some of the 4Gb bioses couse you never know. Might have messed up something there couse now the card is showing no signal but that can be fixed with the bios switch thankfuly. Second bios doesn't seem to have the same problem but it also doesn't get recognised by the driver so I'm gonna DDU and see if that gets me anywhere.
A DDU might help, also check your Device Manager and show hidden devices. Delete all the old Displays hidden displays.

Also run the AMD Cleanup Utility before running a DDU cleanup.

Jan 10, 2020
A DDU might help, also check your Device Manager and show hidden devices. Delete all the old Displays hidden displays.

Also run the AMD Cleanup Utility before running a DDU cleanup.

Yeah it's not working. The second bios is probably the mining one and the driver doesn't even recognise it. I just restored from my backup and am now where i started. What i'm probably gonna do is just use the card till it dies and save money in the meantime. There is no fixing this i think.

Yeah it's not working. The second bios is probably the mining one and the driver doesn't even recognise it. I just restored from my backup and am now where i started. What i'm probably gonna do is just use the card till it dies and save money in the meantime. There is no fixing this i think.

Try AMD Wattman to adjust the OC settings. Turn down the VRAM speed by 10% or so. It shouldn't effect gaming much but may help with stability.

Jan 10, 2020
Using linux and the mesa drivers has solved the issue all together so i'm guessing it's just AMD's shitty drivers that are causing the artefacting.

Solution