Question Rx580 8 GB Sapphire Pulse help??

SoumyaHD

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I have a question that my current system is gigabyte 970 gaming motherboard and fx cpu. I'm using a less powerful gpu ie hd6670 so will this card be compatible with my board and cpu and my power supply is 600W Corsair.
Please give suggestions.
And also can i put one 8 gb and 4 gb ram together will it work or should I just put two 4 gb.
Please help and thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2015
I have a question that my current system is gigabyte 970 gaming motherboard and fx cpu. I'm using a less powerful gpu ie hd6670 so will this card be compatible with my board and cpu and my power supply is 600W Corsair.
Please give suggestions.
And also can i put one 8 gb and 4 gb ram together will it work or should I just put two 4 gb.
Please help and thanks in advance.
600w should be enough, but corsair doesn't say much.
corsair has series of PSUs varying from god tier to danger - tier. Decide for your psu model here :

List of mobos compatible to the rx 580
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=y2DzK8

There is no guarantee that 4+8gb will work, if you haven't bought any ram yet, go either 4+4 or 8+8gb, depending on your needs.
Fx series and 970 are quite outdated, so I'd go 4+4gb.
I suppose you are planning to keep the rx 580 for future upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoumyaHD

SoumyaHD

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
corsair has series of PSUs varying from god tier to danger - tier. Decide for your psu model here :

There is no guarantee that 4+8gb will work, if you haven't bought any ram yet, go either 4+4 or 8+8gb, depending on your needs.
Yes I'm only changing the graphics and my board is relatively new. Bought in 2016 and also i have 4gigs of Corsair vengeance ddr3 ram and vs650 watt psu so should i go for it or choose a budget card like 1050ti 4 gb version my msin goal is play games with 1080p resolution and a decent 60 fps
And also it should be future proof so that i van play modern titles in it.

SoumyaHD

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Yes I'm only changing the graphics and my board is relatively new. Bought in 2016 and also i have 4gigs of Corsair vengeance ddr3 ram and vs650 watt psu so should i go for it or choose a budget card like 1050ti 4 gb version my msin goal is play games with 1080p resolution and a decent 60 fps
And also it should be future proof so that i van play modern titles in it

Oct 24, 2015
And also it should be future proof so that i van play modern titles in it.
Are you kidding? 4gb ram is only for browsing. Ofc it will not utilize any decent gpu.

Honey, no matter the gpu, you cannot future proof a system that is already out of date....

U still haven't told us your psu's model, the ram's model is irrelevant. U need 8 gb of ram minimum, its brand doesn't matter.
The psu's brand and series DO matter, so which corsair is it? It should have a full model, like corsair cx550m, tx600 etc.

I'd Keep your current build, without upgrading the gpu, for browsing, fx CPUs are bad and ddr3 ram is dead either way.
And save money for next gen ryzen 3xxx +2x4gb or 2x8gb ram, and then get a decent gpu.

Or else just get another 4gb of ram and a used gpu from the compatibility list that I sent you , for your mobo.

Last edited:
so should i go for it or choose a budget card like 1050ti 4 gb version my msin goal is play games with 1080p resolution and a decent 60 fps
I wouldn't bother with a 1050 Ti as they currently tend to be overpriced for the amount of performance they have to offer, at least going by online prices in the US. An RX 580 can be around 75% faster, and even an RX 570 can be close to 50% faster than a 1050 Ti, at least in situations where they are not limited by performance of the CPU. An FX CPU will tend to limit performance somewhat in certain games compared to the current Ryzen or Core processors though, so don't expect 60fps in all games. Performance should be a lot better than with an HD 6670 though, especially at 1080p resolution.

U still haven't told us your psu's model
Actually, they specified that it was a VS650 in that post you quoted. : P A VS650 is more of a budget model, but will likely be fine enough for any of these graphics cards.

I would definitely add some RAM though, as you'll want at least 8GB to run current games properly. You should ideally run RAM in matched sets to keep them in dual-channel mode, which can offer somewhat better performance.

SoumyaHD

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Are you kidding? 4gb ram is only for browsing. Ofc it will not utilize any decent gpu.

Honey, no matter the gpu, you cannot future proof a system that is already out of date....

U still haven't told us your psu's model, the ram's model is irrelevant. U need 8 gb of ram minimum, its brand doesn't matter.
The psu's brand and series DO matter, so which corsair is it? It should have a full model, like corsair cx550m, tx600 etc.

I'd Keep your current build, without upgrading the gpu, for browsing, fx CPUs are bad and ddr3 ram is dead either way.
And save money for next gen ryzen 3xxx +2x4gb or 2x8gb ram, and then get a decent gpu.

Or else just get another 4gb of ram and a used gpu from the compatibility list that I sent you , for your mobo.
Model is Corsair VS 650W and I'll also put minimum 8 gigs of ram. FX 8350 and 970 board i know it is outdated, but my system is working just want to swap my graphics card for hd gaming at a budget price.

Oct 24, 2015
I wouldn't bother with a 1050 Ti as they currently tend to be overpriced for the amount of performance they have to offer, at least going by online prices in the US. An RX 580 can be around 75% faster, and even an RX 570 can be close to 50% faster than a 1050 Ti, at least in situations where they are not limited by performance of the CPU. An FX CPU will tend to limit performance somewhat in certain games compared to the current Ryzen or Core processors though, so don't expect 60fps in all games. Performance should be a lot better than with an HD 6670 though, especially at 1080p resolution.

Actually, they specified that it was a VS650 in that post you quoted. : P A VS650 is more of a budget model, but will likely be fine enough for any of these graphics cards.

I would definitely add some RAM though, as you'll want at least 8GB to run current games properly. You should ideally run RAM in matched sets to keep them in dual-channel mode, which can offer somewhat better performance.
The psu was the vs series? Mb, missed it (or he edited it afterwards).

Corsair vs series are garbage that I wouldn't trust a good gpu on.

BTW the 970 mobo can't even utilise a gtx 1050 ti or an rx 580 it's got a pcie 2.0. Not sure, please check the compatibility list, for gpus for your mobo, I sent you.
I agree on him getting sth like the HD 6670, plus another 4gb of ram.

Oct 24, 2015
Model is Corsair VS 650W and I'll also put minimum 8 gigs of ram. FX 8350 and 970 board i know it is outdated, but my system is working just want to swap my graphics card for hd gaming at a budget price.
We are trying to tell you that your pc won't become a full-HD gaming rig, no matter the gpu. Its not the only thing that matters in playing all games in HD.

The psu was the vs series? Mb, missed it (or he edited it afterwards).

Corsair vs series are garbage that I wouldn't trust a good gpu on.

BTW the 970 mobo can't even utilise a gtx 1050 ti or an rx 580 it's got a pcie 2.0. Not sure, please check the compatibility list, for gpus for your mobo, I sent you.
I agree on him getting sth like the HD 6670, plus another 4gb of ram.
The cards are backward compatible and will work fine on PCIe 2.0. Have a RX570 doing so.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Reactions: TJ Hooker
Oct 24, 2015
Oct 24, 2015
The difference is negligible. We're all trying to get that point across to you.
the main reason why I didnt recommend rx 580 for his system was not the PCIe 2.0 of his mobo, that was just the last cherry on the pie. i said it multiple times, agreed with another guy recommending a more suitable for his system, and it was my first arguement : his whole rig and its level is the issue.

just because a gpu is compatible with your system, doesn't mean it is the best pick for you.
i repeat my opinion once more to get done with it.
my recommendation, is get the gpu the other guy suggested, hd 6XXX series (unless he was going to upgrade the whole rig either way and keep only the rx 580 for his next system; which I still wouldnt do cos the VS corsair series are even known to damage components so I wouldnt trust a good gpu on it even for a few months), yours is whatever you want, now it's the guy's desicion to make.

OP is already running said HD6670.

I certainly agree that the FX CPU is going to be limiting and should be scheduled for replacement (CPU+RAM+mobo).

Yes, an RX570 ($130) is likely the MAX that the current CPU is going to utilize effectively from a performance standpoint, but any GPU purchased now is likely to carry over to the new system. RX580s are cheap enough, I don't see much risk in stepping up a notch.

Oct 24, 2015
OP is already running said HD6670.

I certainly agree that the FX CPU is going to be limiting and should be scheduled for replacement (CPU+RAM+mobo).

Yes, an RX570 ($130) is likely the MAX that the current CPU is going to utilize effectively from a performance standpoint, but any GPU purchased now is likely to carry over to the new system. RX580s are cheap enough, I don't see much risk in stepping up a notch.
Holymoly, they cost 250-300 in my country. Hope OP lives in a country that has prices like yours.
Guess we agree on most parts, then. Have a good night.

lower banwitch and outdated overall system is not just about 1-2% performance loss.
alright, you don't seem to get it, let the guy pair the rx 580 8gb with an fx cpu, 970 mb and a trash tier psu then.
All you have to do is open the link which shows the gaming loss on GTX1080. It is a problem that everybody that have/had with AM3+ FX systems which all were PCIe 2 although all GPU's had moved to PCIe 3.

SoumyaHD

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Then what should I do I don't have lot's of money to change my whole computer and shopkeeper fooled me into buying this crappy corsair vs 650W power supply which he took $65.71 from me. I just need a card which will suit my mother board and also consume less power. And should be effective and efficient enough to match my cpu also that is 8350.
750ti is good for this board.
I'm really confused what to do right now.
Only bought a 4 gigs of RAM which cost me $29.
Only left is to change my gpu. I want acceptable frame rates in my games ie above 30+ and 720p will do.

...and shopkeeper fooled me into buying this crappy corsair vs 650W power supply which he took $65.71 from me.
It's arguably an alright PSU, and not what I would consider "trash tier", which would generally be the off-brand things that don't perform anywhere near their claimed specifications. It should be fine enough for these cards though. It sounds like PC component pricing in your country might be higher, so anything significantly better would likely cost more.

How much does an RX 570 cost where you are, and how does that pricing compare to a 1050 Ti? An RX 570 generally performs within about 15% of an RX 580, and is around 50% faster than a 1050 Ti when not limited by CPU performance. As has been said, the limited per-core performance of your FX CPU will limit performance in some games, but any of these cards would be a lot more capable at running modern games than your HD 6670. Again, I would look into getting more RAM though. Having 8GB in total would likely be fine enough to run current games reasonably well.