[SOLVED] RX580 8GB spikes, not getting desired performance

Apr 2, 2020
Hi. A while ago I bought an RX580 8GB GPU, replacing my GTX 760. However, since then I had some issues that I lived with up to now. In a game like CS:GO, I used to get 300+ fps. Now I can't go above 140fps. All other games did not see any major jump in performance. My GPU also decides to go to 99% usage and back to around 10% then spikes again. Really inconsistently. And after installing Adrenalin 2020 I got frame stutters in Borderlands 3. Does anyone know what I can do to increase my fps a bit especially in CS?

Specs:
16GB RAM
Ryzen 3 2200G
Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8GB

I have a liquid cooler on my CPU and a strong enough PSU (850W). I just don't know why I am having this issue after upgrading. I have a bunch of launch options and settings already set up so that won't help.

Solution
Hi. A while ago I bought an RX580 8GB GPU, replacing my GTX 760. However, since then I had some issues that I lived with up to now. In a game like CS:GO, I used to get 300+ fps. Now I can't go above 140fps. All other games did not see any major jump in performance. My GPU also decides to go to 99% usage and back to around 10% then spikes again. Really inconsistently. And after installing Adrenalin 2020 I got frame stutters in Borderlands 3. Does anyone know what I can do to increase my fps a bit especially in CS?

Specs:
16GB RAM
Ryzen 3 2200G

I have a liquid cooler on my CPU and a strong enough PSU (850W). I just don't know why I am having this issue after upgrading. I have a bunch of launch options and...

Specs:
16GB RAM
Ryzen 3 2200G

I have a liquid cooler on my CPU and a strong enough PSU (850W). I just don't know why I am having this issue after upgrading. I have a bunch of launch options and settings already set up so that won't help.

What are you gpu temps whilst gaming, also what PSU do you have exactly - there are '850W' supplies that are good and other that are weaker than a good quality 400W units so worth double checking.

If all temps are ok, it's likely a driver related problem. I would suggest doing a clean install of the latest AMD drivers (the AMD drivers include a clean install option, or alternatively you could use the DDU tool to fully remove previous drivers and then install the latest AMD driver). Also worth making sure you have latest chipset drivers installed as this is something that often gets overlooked.

Solution