Question Rx580 freaking out

Mar 5, 2019
Hey, I have a PC that I built 3 months ago and since then I've been really pleased with it but sometimes I get a really anoying crash where my pc restarts and says " Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure " and I couldn't find a solution, but this afternoon I turned on my pc as usual, started some programs and did some work, suddendly my pc crashes and restarts, this time my screen didn't turned on and my gpu fans started freaking out turning to max rpms and the idle many times in a row. My motherboard as a debug led and the gpu led was turned on, I decided to restart it by hand and I was successful, then, 5 min later it happened again but this time it didn't showed up the led and was freaking out. Does someone has any idea of a possible solution? I was thinking about re-plugging in the gpu from the mobo and blow the dust off tomorrow morning...

Lordlokhraed88

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
Did you overclock your graphic card?
I had the same problem with my previous graphic, I change power supply and it fix the problem. I'm not expert, but I think iit related to power supply.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
If your PC crashes for any reason at all, and you have any settings in Wattman set as not default, that message will appear. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the GPU at all. It just knows your PC crashed, and changes settings to default, just in case it had anything to do with those settings.

If RAM, CPU, Motherboard, or PSU issues, caused your PC to crash, you'll get that same message as long as the wattman settings have been changed from default (and I can tell yours are, or that message from the radeon drivers won't appear).

I would try to rule out the vidcard first, by setting clocks just below stock, and see if you are still experiencing crashes. If so, remove all your overclocks everywhere, and continue to test for crashes, if you get none, re-apply custom settings one step at a time and test for crashes.

re-seating the GPU wouldn't hurt, as you mentioned.

Sorry for the lack of details.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordlokhraed88
Mar 5, 2019
If your PC crashes for any reason at all, and you have any settings in Wattman set as not default, that message will appear. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the GPU at all. It just knows your PC crashed, and changes settings to default, just in case it had anything to do with those settings.

If RAM, CPU, Motherboard, or PSU issues, caused your PC to crash, you'll get that same message as long as the wattman settings have been changed from default (and I can tell yours are, or that message from the radeon drivers won't appear).

I would try to rule out the vidcard first, by setting clocks just below stock, and see if you are still experiencing crashes. If so, remove all your overclocks everywhere, and continue to test for crashes, if you get none, re-apply custom settings one step at a time and test for crashes.

re-seating the GPU wouldn't hurt, as you mentioned.

Sorry for the lack of details.

All my clocks are stock, I just undervolted my gpu to see if still crashed and it did, I will try to do it all, thanks!

Lordlokhraed88

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
All the clocks everywhere are stock, just undervolted a bit my gpu
I had exactly the same problem, I changed windows, changed bios, reassembled my pc and some other things, none of them works. For me, replacing power supply solved the problem. Of course I can't say the reason absolutely must be caused by power supply failure but I don't think it relates to any software or setting