[SOLVED] RX580 preventing PC from posting

Mar 26, 2020
Hello, so my friend just gave me his RX580 a couple of days ago, it used to give him artifacts sometimes and when we tried it on my PC it would just prevent my PC from booting. I'm using an OEM dell motherboard from an Optiplex 790, the PC wouldn't post it would just light up the number "1" and "3" which translates to reseating the ram, I've reseated and replaced all the ram sticks and still no luck. however if i throw back my GTX 950 the pc boots up just fine. i have a 550w power supply so it shouldn't be an issue, any help?

Solution
E46M3s When is the last the last time that the RX 580 produced an image for your friend? How long ago?

I'm not at all surprised that your Hopely 500G2 can't power a RX 580, considering it's specs. If I'm reading the label correctly, it "appears" to have two 12 volt rails; 192 and 216 watts respectively. But your friend's Thermaltake 600W Smart 80+ supplies 504 watts, and should be fine.

"Should i just go for it and buy another PSU? the gpu fan wouldn't even spin on my friend's 600w psu but it does that just fine on mine."

So just to be clear, the RX 580 fan spins on your Hopely 500G2, but the same fan does not spin connected to your friend's Thermaltake 600W Smart? But it doesn't produce an image with either...
E46M3s Hello. I do no know the solution to either of your problems, therefore I'm only guessing. Seems like you have two abnormalities:

Which Dell Optiplex 790 case form factor do you have btw?

BIOS error lights: Replace the CMOS battery, since your system is eight plus years old. I suspect that the error lights are a false positive, related to your CMOS battery most likely being dead.

RX 580 preventing system from booting: The fact that it artifacted on your buddy's build, isn't a good sign, but clearly it booted in his system. You'll need to provide the following information:

Full system specs, including the manufacturer and model of your power supply.
The full model name of your GTX 950
The full model name of your RX 580; are both PCIe power connectors plugged into your power supply? Are you resorting to an adapter to do so?
Please take two photos: (1) The full inside of your build; I specifically looking for the power connectors on your motherboard. (2) The label on the side of your power supply. Then upload both photos to imgur and share the link here.

Addendum: Before you do anything (above), I recommend that you update the BIOS to the latest version using support.dell.com. Then go into the BIOS and make sure that "secured" mode is disabled.

Mar 26, 2020
E46M3s Hello. I do no know the solution to either of your problems, therefore I'm only guessing. Seems like you have two abnormalities:

Which Dell Optiplex 790 case form factor do you have btw?

BIOS error lights: Replace the CMOS battery, since your system is eight plus years old. I suspect that the error lights are a false positive, related to your CMOS battery most likely being dead.

RX 580 preventing system from booting: The fact that it artifacted on your buddy's build, isn't a good sign, but clearly it booted in his system. You'll need to provide the following information:

Full system specs, including the manufacturer and model of your power supply.
The full model name of your GTX 950
The full model name of your RX 580; are both PCIe power connectors plugged into your power supply? Are you resorting to an adapter to do so?
Please take two photos: (1) The full inside of your build; I specifically looking for the power connectors on your motherboard. (2) The label on the side of your power supply. Then upload both photos to imgur and share the link here.

Addendum: Before you do anything (above), I recommend that you update the BIOS to the latest version using support.dell.com. Then go into the BIOS and make sure that "secured" mode is disabled.
Hello, I have the MT optiplex 790 form factor, I'm currently using a GTX 950 Asus edition (2gb ddr5) and the RX580 i believe is a XFX OC edition (8gb ddr5). I was using a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter since my psu doesn't have an 8 pin adapter, I'm going to borrow my buddies 600w PSU since it has one. the psu i'm currently running is a none brand 550w psu so i'm thinking that might be it? but yet again it's weird how it just the number "1" and "3" light up at the same time when i turn it on. GPU and CPU fan turn on and the GPU also had a blue light on. If i throw back in my 950 the pc turns on just fine with no weird lights or faults.

I don't think the 6-to-8 pin PCIe adapter is a problem. Even though 8 pin connectors are rated for 150 watts, versus 75 for the 6 pin, the 8 pin only adds a ground cable. However, when you say the 550 watt is a no name brand, what exactly is the manufacturer and model number of it? Also, a picture of the label on the side of the power supply would be extremely helpful. It very well could be the cause of this problem, depending on what it is. I agree with your idea of borrowing your buddies 600 watt unit to troubleshoot.

Mar 26, 2020
Can you take a picture of the side of the PSu with the specs(use an imaging hosting like imgur to post it here). Likely not even close to actually being a 550w PSU and most generic units flat lie on their advertised wattage and are cheap dangerous garbage.
I dont have the original box anymore but it was advertised as a "550w" psu. I also tried using my friend's PSU and the gpu fans wouldn't even spin, however when i throw in my psu the fans spin and everything it's weird.
View: https://imgur.com/Tv8Etch

View: https://imgur.com/v0WVixB

Mar 26, 2020
That's a 400w psu at best and it looks like its had a rough life. Not going to be able to power a GPU like an RX580.
Should i just go for it and buy another PSU? the gpu fan wouldn't even spin on my friend's 600w psu but it does that just fine on mine. I'm also getting really desperate trying to get it to work, would reapplying the thermal paste make any difference? it was never opened before.

E46M3s When is the last the last time that the RX 580 produced an image for your friend? How long ago?

I'm not at all surprised that your Hopely 500G2 can't power a RX 580, considering it's specs. If I'm reading the label correctly, it "appears" to have two 12 volt rails; 192 and 216 watts respectively. But your friend's Thermaltake 600W Smart 80+ supplies 504 watts, and should be fine.

"Should i just go for it and buy another PSU? the gpu fan wouldn't even spin on my friend's 600w psu but it does that just fine on mine."

So just to be clear, the RX 580 fan spins on your Hopely 500G2, but the same fan does not spin connected to your friend's Thermaltake 600W Smart? But it doesn't produce an image with either? Again I ask, when is the last time that this RX 580 produced an image? Can you try the RX 580 in another system to see if it currently works? Either the build of the friend that gave you the GPU or someone else's system? If it doesn't work in another build now then I wonder if connecting it to your PSU pushed the GPU to the point of death. Also, would you mind taking a photo of the inside of your build with the GPU installed? I'm just wondering if there is something that I'm missing here, as your issue is a huge dilemma.

Solution