Question RX580 using more power but running cooler after repaste

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Question/concern: after repasting, GPU drawing more power, but running cooler at same clock speeds.

Background: on the never-ending quest for cooler temps with just air cooling, I decided to repaste my Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ SE with MX4. The card has always run at GPU speed of 1430MHz and a memory speed of 2100MHz and never thermal throttled. The first repaste attempt saw higher temps, so when I pulled off the heat sink, it was obvious why. One corner was bare, probably due to uneven tightening of the cold plate. But temps never got above 80C, which was a bit relieving. Anyway, I cleaned it up and repasted with MX4 again, using a tad more paste and paying attention to how I tightened the screws. This time, my temps are a few degrees lower (even lower than the stock paste). After running Heaven for 30 minutes and never getting above 66C, I decided to throw a Doom session at it. Again, my temps were fine (and clock speeds were at those mentioned), but it was drawing more power.

I say this because I have my PC running off an UPS. If I draw more power than the UPS' rating, it emits a steady tone until the power draw falls. This usually happens only momentarily when I print. While playing Doom last night, my UPS was going crazy emitting power draw tones, especially in scenes with a lot of activity. It has never done this, and I primarily play Doom or F1 2018, sometimes for hours.

I know that repasting can sometimes allow a card to boost higher, but mine always ran at the max boost clock of 1430. I also have not applied an OC. Does it make sense that the card would draw more power? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I'd say this isn't an issue with your PC, rather your UPS is beginning to fail or malfunction. The slight difference in power draw from your graphics card isn't going to make that much of a difference after re-pasting.

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
I'd say this isn't an issue with your PC, rather your UPS is beginning to fail or malfunction. The slight difference in power draw from your graphics card isn't going to make that much of a difference after re-pasting.
Thanks for the reply! I agree and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. But in general, does it make sense for a card, already running at max clocks, to draw more power after repasting?

I don't think so. In this case, I think it should draw less, if anything, as the fans wouldn't have to spin as much to maintain a given temperature.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply! I agree and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. But in general, does it make sense for a card, already running at max clocks, to draw more power after repasting?

I don't think so. In this case, I think it should draw less, if anything, as the fans wouldn't have to spin as much to maintain a given temperature.
It makes some sense, but if you aren't seeing any increased clock speeds then no it shouldn't draw any more power.

Reactions: phdibart

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Hmm, the diagnostic light on the UPS doesn't indicate a problem. Oh well, it's a rather new UPS, but I grabbed it because it was on sale at Staples, even though I knew it was slightly underpowered for the amount of stuff I want to plug into it!

Thanks for the help!