Question RX590 Brand New High End Setup Microstuttering / Tearing / Low FPS / Crashing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Just built a brand new PC yesterday.

I basically can't play much at all without crashing a few minutes into most games.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 crashes within 3-4 minutes, upon adjusting "Power Limit" to -50% in Global Wattman, the game did NOT crash, I was able to play a full round, however frames were less than optimal on my current high settings. Not a solution.

I'm surprised there isn't more documentation on this problem.

Windows 10 64 Bit Home
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+ Special Edition 8GB
Corsair Force MP300 128GB / Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Corsair 550W
ASUS B450-F Strix

Edit: Also the PSU is not the problem, I've seen that suggested in multiple threads however it hasn't solved anyone's problem. My PSU is more than optimal as stated by the manufacturer to withstand the usage requirements of this card.

I'm glad that you have a good course of action. Sorry I couldn't have been more help, but this batch of cards appear to break the norm, in terms of culprits. Normally, this issue screams PSU, but a bad batch of GPUs upset the applecart. I hope you get ALL of your money back!

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
So just to clarify, if the Windows Event Log showed that the graphics card stopped responding when the games crashed does that definitely mean that the problem lies within anything connected to the card / and or the card itself? I was wondering if RAM is off the table as the culprit.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Same message, reproduced every time I crash.... It has to be a clue to something....

Also updating BIOS, switching around RAM slots, testing one stick at a time, changing the PCIE slot for my GPU.... none of it worked.

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys, type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 44dfa61b-b947-40e8-a9e3-84fe036395a9

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffffd0010d88f260
P3: fffff807400b06a8
P4: 0
P5: 32c8
P6: 10_0_17134
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20190101-0238.dmp
\\?\C:\Windows\TEMP\WER-1574500-0.sysdata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1364.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1374.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1373.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER13A3.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WER46E8.tmp.WERDataCollectionStatus.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_5f9ddfb142ac443bafe645b4e271c9fa9389bf1_00000000_cab_184c490a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 79e87b9f-87b8-4588-a698-f7f1bfe91bf1
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018

Interesting! I really want with all my heart to make this RX 590 be apart of my system, I have a freesync monitor and all. Think I should switch to Nvidia or try to replace the 590?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You just built it yesterday. Are you sure you have fully finished with Windows updates and then after that's finished, gone to the mobo vendors website support and obtained their latest motherboard bios and drivers? And then cleaned out the system of any 'old' files and orphans left behind by installs?
Relying on windows drivers to make up the difference will often lead to conflicts

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018

Hi, I briefly contemplated that issue because I know nothing really about it. I've fully updated windows and my Asus B450-f motherboard's latest bios, but I don't understand how to update it's drivers and which ones to update. I can download them but I am not sure how to go about installing them. Also, I am not sure how or what old files to clean. Any advice would be appreciated.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers are easy, most come with self executing files, and those that don't you save to someplace easy to find like the desktop, then go through device manager and update through the individual components. Ones to update are lan, audio, USB family, Sata etc. They'll be found in the same place, roughly, that you got the bios from on the support site.

Reason for update is that many of those files, bios included, were released at the time of the motherboards actual manufacture, which can easily be 6 months prior to your purchase. Subsequent windows updates, especially the semi-annual major updates, can and do create issues with timestamps, version numbers etc and windows will try and use its native drivers instead of the component specific driver, since the windows version is newer. This has been happening since Creators Edition Win10 was first released.

Cleaning out a pc is relatively painless, I use CCleaner from piriform.com, left at its default state. I'll also run the registry tool and clean that as well. Warning: back up the registry before messing with it, that's an absolute must do thing, no software is perfect and users with paws in the registry can create issues.

It's only after all that's done, everything is finished, updated, played with and adjusted that I'll install the gpu drivers, just so there's absolutely no chance they'll get written over or accidentally removed.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018

Well, ASUS's are not. All of the files I've downloaded off of their site have no instruction and come in compressed folders where the only executable is for the Radeon Graphics driver. Weird? Almost all of them just contain GPU drivers. It says the Utilities file doesn't exist or is empty and the Chipset is just a load of crap I cant understand with executables that don't or fail to run. The only driver I got to install off of their site was the Realtek Audio.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Alright I'd just like to say that I've followed all of the steps mention two posts above. I realized I could get newer versions of the chipset drivers from the AMD site instead of the mobo retailer. It also came with an installer. After updating Windows thoroughly and installing all drivers / installing gpu driver / running cc cleaner, I can finally say that the problem still persists and I am receiving the same kernel error message in event viewer.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get my brother in law to let me use one of his 980 ti cards in my system. Frankly, I'm scared to RMA this card for a GTX 1070 only to find out it wasn't the problem. If it works however, I'll make the switch and gladly wait for a refund. On another note I'm going to keep researching until then, I hate not knowing the real answer behind why this is happening. The card runs GREAT, all my games run FANTASTIC, but I crash within 15 minutes every time!

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018

I keep reading posts about faulty RAM, so I'm going to attempt to replace my two sticks. I had already tried swapping them around the 1&3 vs 2&4 slots on my mobo but it didn't work. I just tried leaving one in and removing the other and I was able to play for an hour but that has also happened before when I underclocked my gpu so I'm not too sure. Could that be a mobo defective ram slot or defective ram? Assuming I've pinpointed the problem. I will keep playing as normal to try and figure it all out. Could it be that the extra stick of ram consumed to much power from the psu? I have no idea. I'll figure this mystery out soon enough.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram consumes @10w or less and not from the 12v rail, but the 3.3v rail I believe, so seriously doubting it would pull that much power to trash that particular rail.

As far as the mobo being defective, that's a strong possibility. There's hundreds of components on a mobo, all relying on each other and all it takes is 1 of the more important aspects to fail, like something in pcie buss and the whole thing is shot. It can also boil down to a single bent socket pin and that'll make for all kinds of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.