Question RX6600 issues, please help.

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
I hope someone can help me with this. 😩

I recently bought myself a RX6600 (XFX) to replace my RX570 (MSI).

The first unit I got was faulty so I've send it back and got a new replacement. But this one also seems to have issues, or is it something else?
What are the chances of getting 2 brand new faulty cards? (... I ordered a new PSU this week, which was also DOA... spooky 👻)

I get very random black screens, windows is frozen at that point (monitor menu still works normal tho).
At this point I turn my monitor on/off a couple of times until they both seem to reset and it all works again untill the next black screen. Sometimes it resolves itself after some time. Happens during browsing, working, gaming, ...

I had FPS drops while gaming. Suddenly frames would drop below 10fps (when nothing special happened ingame), while on average they were 45-55 on medium graphic settings and this on 1080 and 1440p. So the new card was performing worse than my older rx570.
This seems to be resolved for now after I did a fresh windows installation yesterday and cleaned all my drives. But after 2h the black screen returned.

When the errors/crashes happen I get this in the reliability monitor: LiveKernelEvent Codes: 141 or 117 and recently I also get a2000002 and 1a1 .
It seems like it has something to do with the GPU but I can't figure out what.

Maybe it's the PSU that hasn't enough power for it, 550w (which is minimum requirement according to the XFX website). But recommended they say 650w, although I read on some sites people suggesting that even 450w should be enough to run a rx6600. I know nothing about this so.

My setup:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • Asrock b450m pro4
  • Kingston Fury 16GB ddr4 2666Mhz RAM
  • PSU Seasonic focus+ 550w gold
Other things I tried so far:
  • reinstall all hardware
  • multiple DDU's
  • clean driver installations (tried newest and older)
  • ran furmark and heaven (someone else noticed that there was a 990Mhz clock speed drop, even had a 37Mhz drop during CoD test)
  • changed screenresolution 1080p - 1440p
  • lowered the graphics in games even more, from medium to low
  • a bunch of others things which I can't even remember anymore
Maybe worth to mention that I bought a new monitor with the GPU. And when I plug my RX570 back in everything works flawless, although it has to work very hard.

Hey there,

Well, the first thing I'd say is going with the recommended is always the best route with PSU's. With that said, and was pointed out in one of those reddits, for the most part your system doesn't draw as much as 550w. But, there are times when it will/might. It might be rare. You 'might' get by with a lower wattage then necessary to 'get by', but why would you just want to get by? Some of the other statements in that reddit are nuts! This for example:

'If you will be upgrading to a RTX 3080 Ti, then go for the 650W, otherwise don’t bother. ' - This is bad advice. I wouldn't be going by their recommendations there.

To rule it out, your best option is to go with a recommended PSU. Now, the Seasonic Focus Gold are pretty good. SO in theory it should be sufficient for your build.

Before doing that though, I'd check your bios and see which version you are running. A bios update could be a potential fix here.

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
Thanks for the fast reply!

Yeah I didn't need more for the rx570 than a 550w PSU, past me didn't think it through.

But I'll try and see what a bios update brings before I buy another PSU unit.

For some reason AMD's software Adrenalin stops working correctly when the black screens happen, I don't know why I mention it.

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
Hey there,

Well, the first thing I'd say is going with the recommended is always the best route with PSU's. With that said, and was pointed out in one of those reddits, for the most part your system doesn't draw as much as 550w. But, there are times when it will/might. It might be rare. You 'might' get by with a lower wattage then necessary to 'get by', but why would you just want to get by? Some of the other statements in that reddit are nuts! This for example:

'If you will be upgrading to a RTX 3080 Ti, then go for the 650W, otherwise don’t bother. ' - This is bad advice. I wouldn't be going by their recommendations there.

To rule it out, your best option is to go with a recommended PSU. Now, the Seasonic Focus Gold are pretty good. SO in theory it should be sufficient for your build.

Before doing that though, I'd check your bios and see which version you are running. A bios update could be a potential fix here.

I did a BIOS update 2 days ago.
Yesterday I had one crash when I was updating shaders for the game Call of Duty.
Today I had 2 crashes in 15min, black frozen screen while working, LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 again.

So I guess at this point the next step would be to try a stronger PSU unit?
If so, would 750w or 850w be overkill and harm the components?
Not sure if 650w is future proof enough, although I think if I upgrade again in the future that it would be a completely new build. This one is 3y old, just need it to run for another 3y to come.

No I did not, guess I can still do that. How big are the chances that this resolves anything?

Guess I should order a new PSU anyway.
Clearing CMOS is essential, as it ensures that all remnants of microcode are removed from the CMOS. If you don't do this, what can happen is that your PC might boot, but it could have all sorts of instability.

Chances are big that it solves some issues. This issue? Well, we won't know until you do it. The idea is to rule out one by one any issues that might be related, in the hope that we fix the issue.

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
Clearing CMOS is essential, as it ensures that all remnants of microcode are removed from the CMOS. If you don't do this, what can happen is that your PC might boot, but it could have all sorts of instability.

Chances are big that it solves some issues. This issue? Well, we won't know until you do it. The idea is to rule out one by one any issues that might be related, in the hope that we fix the issue.

Thank you so much for all the help so far Roland! (y)

Did everything just now, installed a new PSU (Corsair RM650), reconnected every single cable, did the CMOS, fresh Windows install again, installed the newest drivers again, gonna check if the BIOS is still updated.

Now I can only wait and see if it occurs again, I'll leave an update.

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
What do you make of this? There's a link to a video:

https://streamable.com/xrwqmm

I had that with my first card that I send back + it had the same errors but also these weird flickering lines, so I've send the card back as faulty and also tried many thing with that one to just resolve those lines but nothing worked.
Now this replacement card didn't have those lines untill just now, suddenly after all I did earlier they appear to.

https://freeimage.host/i/H7cguYF

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
Was playing a game I've been playing for years, it's 10y old.
While playing the graphics suddenly dropped on their own, like I was playing the original DOOM all of a sudden, everything looked pixelated.
And I got such low fps, around 30-40 with lots of drops to around 13fps.
Never had that before on that game or any game.

Looks like this guy had something similar going on and reading the comments they had to return it. I remember when I first got a 6000 series gpu, right when the 6600xt came out, I picked up a powercolor hellhound from Microcenter. That gpu and I never did get along. I fought and fought with it. I ended up returning it to Microcenter for an Asus 6600xt and never had another issue. Later sold the card during mining and later got a 6700xt, which I recently sold for almost what I paid for it, and got a deal on a 3080. With all the other cards, no issues. But that powercolor card and I never seemed to see eye to eye. Theoretically your 550 watt may have been enough but XFX's site says it recommends 650. Though AMD says you should just need 450. Either way the Corsair should be a decent unit. Did you buy it from a physical store or online? Is there another system you can test the card in? Sounds like the card to me even though you say you've had it replaced. As far as power supply more is always better as long as you've got a quality unit in my opinion.

Was playing a game I've been playing for years, it's 10y old.
While playing the graphics suddenly dropped on their own, like I was playing the original DOOM all of a sudden, everything looked pixelated.
And I got such low fps, around 30-40 with lots of drops to around 13fps.
Never had that before on that game or any game.
Is this only happening wit this one game? That looks as if the mem is voerclocked. You typically see lines like that if an OC is unstable.

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
Is this only happening wit this one game? That looks as if the mem is voerclocked. You typically see lines like that if an OC is unstable.

The lines? Yes, only with that game (7days to die). But the graphic drops and low frame drops on medium settings also happened on a Call of Duty game of 2y ago.
And I would even swear that Hell let loose, looks less crisp.
While if I watch reviews of this GPU people are talking about 60fps minimum on very high/ultra settings and on 1440p.
Maybe it's this XFX brand, maybe it's a manufacturing error.

I never overclock anything, all my hardware is running at the basic speed right out of the box.

I was also thinking, maybe it's the motherboard. But how would I know?
And if I'm gonna replace more components I could do a complete new build by that time, while I just wanted to upgrade my GPU...

I got another older GPU GTX950 around somewhere, I'm gonna try that one and see if I have problems with that.
So that would be a 3rd gpu model I tried, if that one works fine I guess that excludes motherboard problems?

K_B

Reputable
May 2, 2019
Looks like this guy had something similar going on and reading the comments they had to return it. I remember when I first got a 6000 series gpu, right when the 6600xt came out, I picked up a powercolor hellhound from Microcenter. That gpu and I never did get along. I fought and fought with it. I ended up returning it to Microcenter for an Asus 6600xt and never had another issue. Later sold the card during mining and later got a 6700xt, which I recently sold for almost what I paid for it, and got a deal on a 3080. With all the other cards, no issues. But that powercolor card and I never seemed to see eye to eye. Theoretically your 550 watt may have been enough but XFX's site says it recommends 650. Though AMD says you should just need 450. Either way the Corsair should be a decent unit. Did you buy it from a physical store or online? Is there another system you can test the card in? Sounds like the card to me even though you say you've had it replaced. As far as power supply more is always better as long as you've got a quality unit in my opinion.

Yeah I'm on the verge of sending it back because I'm getting to frustrated with finding a cause or a solution.
Also it leaves an unsatisfying not knowing what the problems is, because what are the chances 2 brand new components both show the same errors and are faulty?
The new PSU I installed yesterday should be a quality unit and that one works like a charm.
But thanks for your answer, I also have the feeling I'm just not getting along with this card.

For me once I exchanged for a different brand my system was happy as could be, which shouldn’t make a difference as I think amd provides the boards they just basically supply cooling and branding if I’m not mistaken. I only had issues with that one card. Other 6000 series cards I never had trouble with.