Question RX6700XT Unstable undervolt?

Sep 25, 2024
TL;DR Im clueless as to how an unstable undervolt looks like.

Computer Type: Desktop
GPU: Asrock Phantom RX6700XT
CPU: RYZEN 5 2600X
Motherboard: Galax A320M
BIOS Version: Stock
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2993
PSU: CM MWE V2 650
Case: -
Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO 22H2
GPU Drivers: Radeon 24.7.1
Chipset Drivers: -
Background Applications: RTSS, Spotify, Edge

Description of Original Problem: I undervolted the card to 1100 mV, 2500Mhz clock, +15% Power limit (I followed some youtube tutorials). I was getting about 20% less power usage and temps (70C/83C hotspot to 60/60ish hotspot), atleast thats what my radeon overlay is telling me. I tested two round of unigine heaven with it and turn off the pc right after. It ran stable until a day after. I played a Lies of P for ~5 hours and it went poof. No display, no sound, but casefans are still running. I restarted the PC. Wattman said about restarting driver due to an error. Loaded my undervolt profile right after, played again for 15 mins. It crashed again, now im back to stock. Which been running stable for an hour now.

Troubleshooting: As above, i have gone back to stock. Ran the game for an hour. So far its been fine. Only thing caught my eye is, the first wattman error message restarted everything in the driver. The second one did restart it, but the gpu tuning profile was still in custom with stock values unlike the previous restart.

The Question: Is this just an unstable undervolt? I have no clue as how an unstable undervolt looks like. I assume it'd crash the game or bluescreen/restart the pc right after. Not this no display no sound but casefans are still running. Iam honestly [language] bricks since this is how my 1660S died. Difference was, the 1660S didnt turn on after it did this exact shutdown (It was stock, nothing fiddled). And before you ask, the 1660S had FSP HV PRO 550W PSU which was replaced with the CM MWE just to be safe.

This is the radeon software logs, not sure if it helps. Radeon Logs - Pastebin.com

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU?

If your undervolt is unstable(just like overclocking) that's when you went a little too far. Try and up the voltage a little and see if your undervolt is stable. You might even ask why was the undervolt stable after your first attempt, there's residual power stored on the caps in your GPU which when dissipated start to show instability.

As with overclocking, you're advised to stress test the GPU with a wide gamut of things, benchmarking being one of them and gaming is another. If you don't experience any hiccups on either of them(and your daily tasks) then your undervolt is stable, that's when you can close you chapter...and go about with your daily computing.

Sep 25, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU?

If your undervolt is unstable(just like overclocking) that's when you went a little too far. Try and up the voltage a little and see if your undervolt is stable. You might even ask why was the undervolt stable after your first attempt, there's residual power stored on the caps in your GPU which when dissipated start to show instability.

As with overclocking, you're advised to stress test the GPU with a wide gamut of things, benchmarking being one of them and gaming is another. If you don't experience any hiccups on either of them(and your daily tasks) then your undervolt is stable, that's when you can close you chapter...and go about with your daily computing.
PSU was bought brand new. About a month and a half ago before i replaced my GPU.

Regardings unstable undervolt, does my case fit one of the unstability case? PC shutdown, no display, no audio but RGB/Fans are still on. I have now reverted back to stock, played a few hours worth of game after the second crash and i have no crash (yet). Iam a little scared to fiddle with it again.

Again, thanks for the respond !

PSU was bought brand new. About a month and a half ago before i replaced my GPU.

Regardings unstable undervolt, does my case fit one of the unstability case? PC shutdown, no display, no audio but RGB/Fans are still on. I have now reverted back to stock, played a few hours worth of game after the second crash and i have no crash (yet). Iam a little scared to fiddle with it again.

Again, thanks for the respond !
It sure does fit.

I use to undervolte my Vega 64 and if I went to far, the system would just down off or even BSOD, I've even had a SSD corrupt my windows install once though rare, no display is also cause of a unstable undervolte, No audio can just be because the system crashed or you are using HDMI or DP audio from the card.

No reason to be really afraid to fiddle with it, when you overclock or underclock, these things will happen, its how you find the bleeding edge of what your hardware can do, I'd say go for it, just don't be as aggressive with the undervolt when you were experiencing crashing, and also note that no 2 cards are the same, one may undervolt really well, others may not, thats the same with overclocking. Sometimes you don't want to apply the same settings as another person, but rather get near it and then inch your way closer.

I'd say go for it, less power, less heat, can equal to better performance epically on a GPU.

Good Luck!

Sep 25, 2024
It sure does fit.

I use to undervolte my Vega 64 and if I went to far, the system would just down off or even BSOD, I've even had a SSD corrupt my windows install once though rare, no display is also cause of a unstable undervolte, No audio can just be because the system crashed or you are using HDMI or DP audio from the card.

No reason to be really afraid to fiddle with it, when you overclock or underclock, these things will happen, its how you find the bleeding edge of what your hardware can do, I'd say go for it, just don't be as aggressive with the undervolt when you were experiencing crashing, and also note that no 2 cards are the same, one may undervolt really well, others may not, thats the same with overclocking. Sometimes you don't want to apply the same settings as another person, but rather get near it and then inch your way closer.

I'd say go for it, less power, less heat, can equal to better performance epically on a GPU.

Good Luck!
Thank you! I have retested it and it seems to be running stable at 2450Mhz 1125mV. Definitely wished it could run at that 2500/1100 though! Still, hotspot within the low 60s is much better than stock at 80+
I'll try to fiddle it a bit more this weekend, for slightly lower power consumption and even more consistent temp