Question Ryze Core Boost can't turn it off

Filip69

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hello,

I have issues turning off Ryzen's Core Boot tech. I went into bios and disabled it, however when I boot into windows I can hear my CPU fan starting to speed up and I checked the voltage it is ranging from 1.3V to 1.4 on idle.

The only way I can prevent is by starting Ryzen Master app and setting a profile with no Core Boost on Auto

Ryzen 2600x on B450 Aorus Pro.

Hyper X predator 3200 @ 3000.

Filip69

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
I have an aftermarket cooler that I bought, (CoolerMaster) and I have rechecked everything 2 times it is installed properly. I dislike the whole idea with the voltage of CPU going on idle times from 1.0V to 1.4V with no reason.
With the core boost my gaming temp is around 70.

When I make a preset in Ryzen AMD master and adjust the voltage myself 1.16V my CPU temp does not go over 50 when loaded.

Advertisement never mentioned 1.4V honestly. I am happy with 3.6 GHZ or If I adjusted the clock manually to 4.0GHZ I really don't care. I just want my rig to run cool that's all.

The sound does not really bother me, It is just the sign I saw that the Voltage keeps rising up and I have verified that with CPUZ and various other tools.

The only solution to this is running AMD Master every time on boot and making the adjustment myself.

Any ideas why the BIOS won't make the change? I do have the latest one F31.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
Hello,

I have issues turning off Ryzen's Core Boot tech. I went into bios and disabled it, however when I boot into windows I can hear my CPU fan starting to speed up and I checked the voltage it is ranging from 1.3V to 1.4 on idle.

The only way I can prevent is by starting Ryzen Master app and setting a profile with no Core Boost on Auto

Ryzen 2600x on B450 Aorus Pro.

Hyper X predator 3200 @ 3000.

Your fan profile and the cpu turbo boost are two seperate things.

Filip69

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
@bmacsys
I am not sure how did you come to that conclusion, me mentioning that I have heard CPU fan kicking is just an observation due to CPU being automatically overclocked. I am well aware that those are 2 different things. One is found under Smart 5 Fan settings and the other is under advance frequency options I believe where I can set the multiplier for my CPU and where you can find the option for the AMD core Boost.

Currently is set to disabled however it Is still going strong when the PC is booted for the first time.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Voltage is supposed to fluctuate. There's actually 2 core voltages, VID and vcore. VID is the voltage the motherboard gives the cpu, and vcore is the actual voltage it uses. If the cpu doesn't need to use a certain voltage, it won't, so vcore goes down. As load increases, vcore goes up. Windows has a really bad habit of bouncing loads all over the place, every time it starts a background check, idle check, timer check, background search or internet update check etc, your loads bounce. Generally from 5% load at idle to anywhere upto 50% loads. Temporarily. This makes vcore bounce from next to nothing upto VID set voltages.

Windows is what's causing your cooler to ramp up. Only way to fix that is adjust the fan curves not to respond to such low loading so aggressively. Disabling performance isn't a solution.

Aftermarket cpu cooler doesn't necessarily mean it's better than the stock Ryzen cooler, it's still a budget cooler and will respond as such.

Filip69

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Voltage is supposed to fluctuate. There's actually 2 core voltages, VID and vcore. VID is the voltage the motherboard gives the cpu, and vcore is the actual voltage it uses. If the cpu doesn't need to use a certain voltage, it won't, so vcore goes down. As load increases, vcore goes up. Windows has a really bad habit of bouncing loads all over the place, every time it starts a background check, idle check, timer check, background search or internet update check etc, your loads bounce. Generally from 5% load at idle to anywhere upto 50% loads. Temporarily. This makes vcore bounce from next to nothing upto VID set voltages.

Windows is what's causing your cooler to ramp up. Only way to fix that is adjust the fan curves not to respond to such low loading so aggressively. Disabling performance isn't a solution.

Aftermarket cpu cooler doesn't necessarily mean it's better than the stock Ryzen cooler, it's still a budget cooler and will respond as such.

Don't really have an issue with noise I believe you are missing what is my beef with. I appreciate a detailed reply, however what I don't want to see is a 1.4V voltage since I don't believe that is necessary for my needs at all. Also according to Ryzen Master the Core Boost or the Auto option is actually overclocking your CPU within the warranty which is for time being something I do not want nor need. I just don't want the voltage to go from 1.1 to 1.4 all the time. The cooler I bought outperforms the stock one so I don't think that is an issue.

As and end user I just don't like it when I can't turn off or on something, when I am robbed off making the choice for myself.

I tinkered around for a bit and I believe I found what is not allowing me to disable core boost. Namely before the BIOS F31, you could turn off the Core Boost in BIOS and it would not turn on in Windows environment. I ll roll back to F30 to see if that is really the case.

Once again thank you for the reply.

I will let you know what happens.

Filip69

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Just manually clock your CPU to 3.6ghz and whatever the lowest stable voltage may be. The CPU will stay at that frequency and voltage no matter what. You successfully negated the point of a "X" series CPU and a b450 series motherboard.

Yeah I get that I am choking the OC, these were bought in a bundle alongside with 1080ti which was a great deal and was like 70%. Since I was using my old 1090T that was dying, this was bought in a haste to replace my old and ageing AM3 platform

I just rolled back to F30 and that was the issue. F31 for Aorus Pro for some reason keeps core boost no what matter you do until you boot and change it in Master Ryzen.

Anyhow thank you guys, I found what it was.

Stay awesome and thank you for replies.

Reactions: DMAN999

Filip69

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
The 2600X boosts up to 4+GHz on load (up to about 4.2GHz on a single-threaded task). And a 70 degree load temperature is perfectly normal for modern CPUs. Temperatures should generally only be a concern if they're getting up around 80 or higher.

Meh, I just like when things are bit colder, I ll probably snatch that liquid cooling to give it a go, see what happens.